Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Ethernet port/hub/switcher question.

It's been a weird day of going to Best Buy, Office Depot and the Mac Store and hearing conflicting stories. I need to know first hand from someone who has done this. Please no guessing or heresy.

I have an older G5 with 1 ethernet port in the back. I have my internet plugged into it. No wifi/airport card, just a cable in off my internet router in the other room. I just got a Control 24 which goes in via ethernet. I'm looking for a hub:

Internet & Control 24 > G5

This router:
Linksys by Cisco EtherFast 10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch EZXS88W

Appears to be designed to plug the internet into it and then you can output the internet to 5 or 8 computers depending on the unit. The Geek Squad dude at BB said that it won't work because the signal flow is the wrong way and I thought that myself. But my buddy said he has one that he used to use and it worked. The other option is to get another PCI Ethernet slot card for my G5.

What is the best way to do this?
Got a link to the right product?
Will the Linksys product above work?

Thanks

???

p.s. This has been a bit confusing I was looking for a simple hub but it doesn't seem so easy now.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Ethernet port/hub/switcher question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
It's been a weird day of going to Best Buy, Office Depot and the Mac Store and hearing conflicting stories. I need to know first hand from someone who has done this. Please no guessing or heresy.

I have an older G5 with 1 ethernet port in the back. I have my internet plugged into it. No wifi/airport card, just a cable in off my internet router in the other room. I just got a Control 24 which goes in via ethernet. I'm looking for a hub:

Internet & Control 24 > G5

This router:
Linksys by Cisco EtherFast 10/100 8-Port Workgroup Switch EZXS88W

Appears to be designed to plug the internet into it and then you can output the internet to 5 or 8 computers depending on the unit. The Geek Squad dude at BB said that it won't work because the signal flow is the wrong way and I thought that myself. But my buddy said he has one that he used to use and it worked. The other option is to get another PCI Ethernet slot card for my G5.

What is the best way to do this?
Got a link to the right product?
Will the Linksys product above work?

Thanks

???

p.s. This has been a bit confusing I was looking for a simple hub but it doesn't seem so easy now.

It will work! only trouble the control 24 will get small interrupts when data is transfered from the Mac to the HUB! i used to have my G5 wired this way but the interrupts started to bug me as the control 24 would stop displaying for a few seconds and freeze visually.

Get a wireless modem and an airport card.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Get a wireless modem and an airport card.

Chris
+1000

You'll be glad you did.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 AM

I have a wireless modem in the other room. The airport card just sits in an open PCI slot in the back of my G5?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I have a wireless modem in the other room. The airport card just sits in an open PCI slot in the back of my G5?
airport cards have their own socket to fit in! quite easy open the computer and its on the main board with one cable to connect. airport or airport extreme card, make sure its the right one for these computers as they do new one's for the Macpro macs

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Once again, the "Geek Squad" proves an affront to geeks everywhere. Any self-respecting geek knows the switch would work.

WiFi is the most elegant solution, though. Installing Airport in a G5 is very straightforward, as demonstated here:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPort_Card.pdf
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks guys, heading to Fry's in an hour.

Yeah the Geek Squad seemed a little wanting. At first he tried to sell me an ethernet PCI card to put in my MAC and I said it looked like a PC piece of hardware so then he read the box and said 'humm it doesn't say for MAC but I'm sure it will work'. Then I said "can you check it out on the web and see if it's the right piece." So he reluctantly strolled over to his computer and 10 minutes later came back and said he went on to the site and it said it was PC only. Weird. I knew that by looking at the box. It just smelled of PC only and he couldn't tell. Strange, he sells the f**kin thing and didn't know. Very unimpressive.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys, heading to Fry's in an hour.

Yeah the Geek Squad seemed a little wanting. At first he tried to sell me an ethernet PCI card to put in my MAC and I said it looked like a PC piece of hardware so then he read the box and said 'humm it doesn't say for MAC but I'm sure it will work'. Then I said "can you check it out on the web and see if it's the right piece." So he reluctantly strolled over to his computer and 10 minutes later came back and said he went on to the site and it said it was PC only. Weird. I knew that by looking at the box. It just smelled of PC only and he couldn't tell. Strange, he sells the f**kin thing and didn't know. Very unimpressive.
Been using a linksys switcher without any issues... with Control 24. SB
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Been using a linksys switcher without any issues... with Control 24. SB
Been doing the same here for years with a cheapy Linksys network switch with 4 ports. My laptop, PT Rig and C|24 are all into it and no issues. As I recall, it is important to use a switch and not a hub.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for a hub
Actually, you are looking for a switch.

yes, the linksys will work fine, as it has an 8-port switch built in.

There a big differences bewteen a hub and a switch when it comes to IP packets. DO NOT get a hub.