Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-07-2017, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Noise Blast in Pro Tools HD 12.7.1

Quick update from me : I've not had another blast since, and I've also just been through all my plugins and it turns out there were a couple that were out of date (e.g. Lexicon updated to 1.3.8 from 1.3.7 - an email of some sort would have been nice eh ). So anyway fingers crossed...
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Noise Blast - The Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
Could Avid not be held responsible for any damage?
Perhaps, if Avid Supported configuration was used without any 3rd party plugins loaded into memory
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Update please... has a cause been found?
No, but it is most likely some 3rd party plugin. Avid is not testing againsta those and never will
Old 04-07-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Voted on it FWIW. Yes the software should just not allow a > x jump in level in any output level in less than y amount of time. The max rate of change for a 20kHz signal is well known. Pretty much anything above that is a warning and more than a few samples in a row that exceed that rate of change (or a single sample at let's say 2X that rate of change) should result in an error stoppage or mute event. Simple math really. Using this method one could monitor at - 20dBFS and be well protected long before the output reaches 0dBFS. Protecting me at -1dBFS is not really protection. -1dBFS of pure noise is just as damaging. Any chance the company will implement anything like this though?
That is one opinion, which comes down to Avid building a limiter into every single output (including every buss) of its mixer. And of course there should be user preference for X's and Y's because nowadays mastered music is very close to distortion anyway, so there should be a way to avoid mastered stuff be cut off from the output

It is much more more elegant and simpler to buy a proper montor controller that "eats" whatefer is fed, and you choose how you want it to output and where.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, but it is most likely some 3rd party plugin. Avid is not testing againsta those and never will
Hi JFreak,
I still haven't any noise blast on the latest Pro Tools version, however, because I had a lot of them in previous versions (11 to 12.3 - I almost damaged my hearing) I can ensure you and everyone here that the cause of the blasts was not any 3nd party plugin.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Hi JFreak,
I still haven't any noise blast on the latest Pro Tools version, however, because I had a lot of them in previous versions (11 to 12.3 - I almost damaged my hearing) I can ensure you and everyone here that the cause of the blasts was not any 3nd party plugin.
I'm sure Avid plugs would also benefit from sandboxing... but the thing is, I have never experienced a noise blast in 100% Avid environment, or if all 3rd party plugins are updated.

There was a time in PT11 era when someone posted a repro way of getting the NB and I surely tried it myself and it worked. But if my memory serves me right, it was a 3rd party plugin not updated..

I agree that this is not acceptable. Either 3rd party vendors are doing something funky (as in against Avid guidelines) or there is something fundamentally wrong in PT mixer. And because I have not experienced this when everything is jpdated, I tend to think it is the former
Old 04-07-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There was a time in PT11 era when someone posted a repro way of getting the NB and I surely tried it myself and it worked. But if my memory serves me right, it was a 3rd party plugin not updated..
That was me, and I can assure you that no 3rd party plug in was required to get the noise blast at that time.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=372

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=392
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Noise Blast in Pro Tools HD 12.7.1

I started a discussion between ModSquad regarding this. I can't promise anything else, except now there is an ongoing discussion. Don't hold your breath for an answer, though...
Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 AM

What is it then? Does pro tools audio engine have a constant dither noise going on that gets out of hand at 0dBfs?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
What is it then? Does pro tools audio engine have a constant dither noise going on that gets out of hand at 0dBfs?

More likely the opposite ; I'm probably wrong, but I don't recall anybody running in to noise blasts using the old PT Dithered Mixer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk