Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Question Mbox 2 and Korg Triton Studio MIDI Question

Hey everyone,

I am very computer savy, but I am just getting into the recording scene and I have a MIDI question. I have not worked with MIDI that much in the past. I am hoping someone can help me because my problem is very frustrating and I feel like it should have a simple solution...

I have an Mbox 2 with PTLE 8 running on Windows XP. I also have a Korg Triton Studio synth, which I have had for years and I love. I am trying to connect the Triton to my Mbox using regular 5-pin MIDI cables, so I can record MIDI tracks as well as use some of the nice virtual instruments in PT8. I believe I have followed all the necessary directions to get this set up, but I must be missing something, and I don't know if it's a setting in PT or on the Korg or something else...

I have created a new instrument in the MIDI Studio Setup area. Then, I created a new MIDI track and set the input and output to be that instrument. I can click notes into the MIDI editor, and I hear them when I do that. When I play the track, the notes I entered play fine. However, I cannot seem to get the MIDI input to work at all! When I play my keyboard, I hear no sound and when I can't even get any levels in the mix window...

I have a feeling this has to do with the way I have PT set up, but again, I am really new to MIDI and don't know what settings I need. Does this have to do with MIDI channels or something? What MIDI channels should be set for input and which ones for output? Does it even matter? Again, I am pretty clueless about MIDI, so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Brett
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 and Korg Triton Studio MIDI Question

Set the input or midi channel to your Mbox channel 1. Make sure your Korg is set to midi out, channel 1. (Actualy don't really need a midi channel, you can input notes directly onto the inst. track). You don't need to set midi in AND OUT, in PT's,,, you choose the channel you want, and it takes care of in and out. Check your midi through on your Korg. Have you record enabled the midi (or inst.) track,, and the record button at top of PT's??
Just a few basics, hope it helps,, its a good idea to read the getting started manual or go to the help drop down menu,,,,,, read as you go,, you'll be recording in no time ,,,,,,,,,,, (I hope)!!!!!!! Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Set the input or midi channel to your Mbox channel 1. Make sure your Korg is set to midi out, channel 1. (Actualy don't really need a midi channel, you can input notes directly onto the inst. track). You don't need to set midi in AND OUT, in PT's,,, you choose the channel you want, and it takes care of in and out. Check your midi through on your Korg. Have you record enabled the midi (or inst.) track,, and the record button at top of PT's??
Just a few basics, hope it helps,, its a good idea to read the getting started manual or go to the help drop down menu,,,,,, read as you go,, you'll be recording in no time ,,,,,,,,,,, (I hope)!!!!!!! Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried everything you recomended, but still nothing seemed to help. Again, I have set the MIDI Input Selector and the MIDI Output Selector to channel 1. I also made sure that my Korg has the "Local MIDI control" option set to OFF. Still nothing. Any more thoughts would be helpful...

Thanks,
Brett
Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 AM

OK, I just figured out something weird...

I remembered that I also have a Midiman Uno 1x1 MIDI interface that I have been trying to avoid because I want my whole setup to run through the Mbox mainly just for convenience. But, I ran the MIDI setup through the Uno instead of through the Mbox and it all worked perfectly (even with the virtual instruments) with no configuration needed!

Could this mean that there is something wrong with the MIDI input jack on my Mbox??
Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 AM

I was mistaken about the midi in and out, (I use templates that I've set up, and forgot some things!!!). You can leave the input to all, but the output must be assigned,,,, Sorry about that! If your wanting sound from your Korg, you need to have it connected to PT's with audio cables, but I feel that you allready know that, and are trying to use the AI's that came with Digi?? Do you have an instrument on the inst. track drop down menu, and then your midi output set to the (Instruments name) channel 1? Kinda like shooting in the dark here!?? Also, on the inst. track at the very top, you must make sure that it is set for the insts. channel, go to View, Mix window, and make sure that Instrument is checked.

Midi Mode and midi through are 2 differant things,, something else to think about,,,,
And ,, again if you go through the book that came with your Digi product, it explaines it fairly well!

Good luck,, try some of this or let us know a little more about where your at??
Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 06-13-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I remembered that I also have a Midiman Uno 1x1 MIDI interface that I have been trying to avoid because I want my whole setup to run through the Mbox mainly just for convenience. But, I ran the MIDI setup through the Uno instead of through the Mbox and it all worked perfectly (even with the virtual instruments) with no configuration needed!
I would'nt think so,, but you probably should uninsatall midiman, it could be what is redirecting your midi info???
Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Yea, I actually was using the Mbox before without the Midiman even connected and it still didn't work. I might just chalk this up to a broken MIDI input port on my Mbox because I have tried everything and the Midiman works flawlessly. I am going to give Digidesign a call on Monday to see if they can tell me anything or give any further help. I will post back with any results. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Oh, by the way, I also ran the MIDI Loop Test that comes as a Troubleshooting session in PT7, which seemed to give unsuccessful results as well... Not promising... I'll let you all know...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman13 View Post
Oh, by the way, I also ran the MIDI Loop Test that comes as a Troubleshooting session in PT7, which seemed to give unsuccessful results as well... Not promising... I'll let you all know...
soooo did you ever find out what the problem was?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM

Sorry, I guess I sort of left this thread abandoned.
I ended up just using the M-Audio UNO MIDI interface that I have, instead of the Mbox 2's built-in MIDI interface. For whatever reason, the Uno works great without any configuration needed, but the Mbox just doesn't. My Mbox is most likely not under warranty anymore, so do I have any options for getting this worked out?