Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Default OSX spaces and PT windows

Hi,
I need a mac guru advise.

I'm wondering if there is a way to assign EDIT window to a space and MIX window to another space and switch between them easily with this OSX feature. It seems it's only possible to switch between app.

Is there a script or hack to change this?

Thx
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 AM

Default Re: OSX spaces and PT windows

AFAIK it is only possible to assign "whole apps" to different spaces. But I don't understand what you are trying to do. For switching spaces you need keyboard shortcuts or some clicks anyway... so why don't you just use the PT shortcuts to switch between Edit and Mix window?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly73 View Post
AFAIK it is only possible to assign "whole apps" to different spaces. But I don't understand what you are trying to do. For switching spaces you need keyboard shortcuts or some clicks anyway... so why don't you just use the PT shortcuts to switch between Edit and Mix window?
You are right. Using cmd = is the same as switching in between spaces, same amount of clicks. Never thought about that. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 AM

On a slightly different idea.

I have a logitech mx518 gaming mouse and i have serveral shortcuts set up on that for quick workflow and it works really well on mac.

Its actually better on mac than xp because on windows you cannot send the Window key as a shortcut which is a pain in the erse.

For example this mouse has 7 configurable buttons. ONe switches between mixer and edit... one brings up workspace. two assigned to zoom vertically and then horizontially on selected region. then one to bring it all back down to normal view again. all works very well and for me its very quick
Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbhoy View Post
On a slightly different idea.

I have a logitech mx518 gaming mouse and i have serveral shortcuts set up on that for quick workflow and it works really well on mac.

Its actually better on mac than xp because on windows you cannot send the Window key as a shortcut which is a pain in the erse.

For example this mouse has 7 configurable buttons. ONe switches between mixer and edit... one brings up workspace. two assigned to zoom vertically and then horizontially on selected region. then one to bring it all back down to normal view again. all works very well and for me its very quick
That's interesting too. The Mx518 mouse is $39.99 and is worth a try.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 AM

let's say that u have 2 spaces horizontal, so you are now in the left space with pro tools opened and u see the mix window,
click on the top bar of the mix window, and without to release the click, press CTRL-2, this will make ur mix window go to the 2nd space.

but also there is another simplest way, assuming that u are in the left space for example, just grab the mix window from the top and drag it right right on the screen until it goes to the right space

then u can switch spaces quickly with ctrl - arrows , or u switch spaces with ctrl-1-2 etc. (if u can't , system prefs -> expose -> spaces -> on bottom is the settings)

but also, if u don't use spaces, and u have both Mix and Edit window in 1 monitor opened, u can just press CMD - ` (very nice OSX command that cycles between windows!)

peace :)
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolsfanatic View Post
let's say that u have 2 spaces horizontal, so you are now in the left space with pro tools opened and u see the mix window,
click on the top bar of the mix window, and without to release the click, press CTRL-2, this will make ur mix window go to the 2nd space.

but also there is another simplest way, assuming that u are in the left space for example, just grab the mix window from the top and drag it right right on the screen until it goes to the right space

then u can switch spaces quickly with ctrl - arrows , or u switch spaces with ctrl-1-2 etc. (if u can't , system prefs -> expose -> spaces -> on bottom is the settings)

but also, if u don't use spaces, and u have both Mix and Edit window in 1 monitor opened, u can just press CMD - ` (very nice OSX command that cycles between windows!)

peace :)
Hey this sounds like what I was looking for...
I'll try it later today.
Cheers,
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM

@protoolsfanatic: thanks it works.

@johnbhoy: I've ordered the Mx 518
Old 06-16-2009, 06:35 PM

hey johnboy,
I'd appreciate some help in setting up the mx 518 mouse. can u pls tell me where you found the drivers for OSX? the original installation disc in only for vista and xp
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I've noticed that certain windows (example system performance) are popout windows and can be moved around. I wish they would do the same for the mix window to be able to move it to another space/monitor.