Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Default A question about 001 in\'s and out\'s (adat)

Hey all,

I am using an 001 in conjuction with an Alesis AI3 lightpipe converter. I just wanted to make sure about one thing. I am using the AI3 as an extra 8 inputs for PT. When I am using it as inputs, I can't use the outputs, correct? Basically, I can only have 16 and 8 out or 8 in and 16 out at once, right?

Thanks
Chris
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 10-26-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: A question about 001 in\'s and out\'s (adat)

I think as long as the IN & OUT are not part of a Feedback loop, it should be ok to use all 8 I/Os on the AI-3 simultaneously.
:: www.tworooms.com
Old 10-26-2003, 12:14 PM

Feedback loop? I am a little confused by what you mean by that (I am not so good with the technical jargon).

Thanks
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 10-26-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Feedback loop? I am a little confused by what you mean by that (I am not so good with the technical jargon).

Thanks
Erm, sorry, maybe I'm using the wrong terms also. What I meant was, if you route 8 outputs from 001/002 to, say a mixer, and then route the mixer's output into an open AUX channel in Pro Tools LE via any of the AI-3's inputs, you might get a feedback loop. ie. a feedback sound .. a loud hi pitch screeching sound....

Anyway, to confuse you further, if your main outputs in Pro Tools LE on the MASTER channel is routed to a pair of outputs that will not form a "feedback loop", ie. in my case, analog out 1 & 2 of the Digi 001, then I'm safe.

Actually I'm not sure how the wirings in the AI-3 works, maybe their optical I/Os and analog I/Os do not "cross". I'm just using the AI-3 as D/A convertor into my analog mixer, not as A/D.

don't think my comments help much. maybe you just try, but be ready to turn down speaker volume knobs and pull out cables if feedback occurs. Maybe you have to hear it to know what it sounds like

if it helps, here's how i route my I/Os

DIGI 001 ANALOG OUT 1&2 = nothing patched
DIGI 001 SPDIF L/R OUT = patched to Channel 1 & 2 of my Analog Mixer
DIGI 001 ANALOG OUT 3 to 8 = patched to Channel 3 to 8 of my Analog Mixer
DIGI 001 Optical out patched to AI-3 (Optical OUT source set to Analog IN) = patched to Channel 9 to 16 of my Analog Mixer
Analog Mixer MAIN L/R OUT = patched to DIGI 001 ANALOG IN 1&2

In ProTools LE, all my tracks are assigned accordingly to output 16 channels into my Analog Mixer
In Pro Tools LE, I have a stereo AUX Channel open, and it's INPUT = DIGI ANALOG IN 1 & 2 (ie. Analog Mixer's MAIN OUT)
I also create a MASTER Channel in Pro Tools LE where I have my mastering plug-in for overall mix, ie. L1. And MASTER CHANNEL's outputs are Digi's OUT 1 & 2

Old 10-26-2003, 01:06 PM

Hey Thanks! That actually does help alot. The issue, I believe, is that the AI3 is only switchable between Analog in or Optical in. You can 't do both at once. I guess that means that if I were to get another AI3 i could hook it up to the Optical out of the PT LE PCI card.

One last question for you (your answers were actually very helpful). From your studio layout, it looks like you are using the optical AND the spdif. I didn't think that was possible. How did you configure PT LE to do that ?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the responses.

Peace
Chris
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 AM

Hi again,

I'm not at my studio right now, but somewhere in hardware or settings, you have to make sure mirroring for spdif are unchecked.

Also, that optical is set to ADAT and not spdif.

The mirroring will prevent output 1/2 (or Digi001's main outs) to be "mirrored" on spdif. so that i can use it as channel "17 / 18".

I also forgot to mention that i use an old TASCAM DAT machine as a D/A (SPDIF to analog outs) convertor.

Also, if mirroring is turned on, and the SPDIF's converted analog outs are being fed to the mixer and routed back into pro tools at the same time, it is confirmed to create a feedback !!!!!

have fun!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:49 AM

The AI-3 inputs and outputs can be used independantly. They can also be used as insert sends and returns.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:46 AM

When you say independantly, do you mean that they can be used to together? I thought the button on the front determined its function.

Chris

PS thanks for all the replies!
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...