Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM

Default DB-25 Inputs Question

Forgive me if this is a foolish question, but should I be able to simply connect my 500 rack (Rupert Neve Designs R6) directly to Carbon via DB-25 to DB-25 connection? Or does it have to be a breakout cable coming from 500 rack into each channel on Carbon individually?

My Website
Old 08-11-2021, 02:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: DB-25 Inputs Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksticks4 View Post
Forgive me if this is a foolish question, but should I be able to simply connect my 500 rack (Rupert Neve Designs R6) directly to Carbon via DB-25 to DB-25 connection? Or does it have to be a breakout cable coming from 500 rack into each channel on Carbon individually?
Yup, DB25 to DB25 cable will work as long as it's Tascam format.
Berkeley, CA
Old 08-11-2021, 03:28 PM

Ahh I see that must be my issue. Assuming there is nothing in hardware setup within PT that could be stopping the proper signal flow? I've tried bypassing the preamp.

My Website
Old 08-12-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Ahh I see that must be my issue. Assuming there is nothing in hardware setup within PT that could be stopping the proper signal flow? I've tried bypassing the preamp.
Thats correct it is not anything in PT other than making sure you have the correct input gain for what the hardware wants to see selected in PT

As Kyle noted as long as the DB 25 connectors are wired in the Tascam Analog connectors pinout it works great
https://tascam.com/content/downloads...-25_Pinout.pdf

I run both my Bricasti M7 reverb unit and my IGS Tubcore compressor through the DB 25's on the Carbon as Hardware inserts in PT just fine

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Double check that all relevant inputs are set to LINE input type. Then, make sure the IN button is selected so that you see input metering on the front panel. And, ensure that no 1/4" cables are connected to the XLR/TRS combo jacks on the back panel (those override the DB25 connection). If you see metering for those line inputs, then that confirms audio signal is getting into Carbon. But, if you're not seeing signal in Pro Tools then it's likely a session routing issue (i.e. track input assignments aren't correct).

If you don't see metering on those line inputs with the requirements above configured correctly, then it's likely a cabling issue.
Berkeley, CA
Old 08-12-2021, 08:17 AM

In case both of the devices are not TASCAM type and you do not want to use breakout cables, contact proaudiola.com and ask them to make you a custom cable where one end is TASCAM and another end is something else. They will hand-solder it for you and mark both ends nicely so you do not get confused which end goes where. They are very good, quality is as good as I would do myself but just so much easier.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:36 AM

Just read a SOS review of the OP's Neve R6. 500 rack (nice well thought out unit BTW)
The R6 has TASCAM DB 25 connectors so The OP should be good to go

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-12-2021, 12:01 PM

Sorry, didn't have time for that. If both ends are TASCAM then just straight wired DB25-DB25 should do it. If not, some qualified company or individual can solder it accordingly, and it would still look like a normal DB25-DB25 cable (just like a crossover ethernet cable looks like a normal ethernet cable).