Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-21-2018, 11:46 PM

Default What is the best PT10 version?

Hi,

I guess I am going to have to grab a copy of PT10 to convert some sessions that have SDII audio files. Can someone tell me what was the most stable version of PT10, and what is the best Mac OS to run it on?

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-22-2018, 01:48 AM

Default Re: What is the best PT10 version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hi,

I guess I am going to have to grab a copy of PT10 to convert some sessions that have SDII audio files. Can someone tell me what was the most stable version of PT10, and what is the best Mac OS to run it on?

Thanks,

MD
Hi,

For me 10.3.6 on Lion

For what you're doing converting files over? any version will do it.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,
MD
PT10.3.10 (which was the last revision) on OSX 10.8.5 or OSX 10.9.5 for me. Of course you have the license asset for it on your iLok right

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
For what you're doing converting files over? any version will do it.
No. Nothing past v10 will convert SDII files. They killed it from 11 onwards.

. . . and I agree with musicman. PT10.3.10 on Mac OSX 10.9.5.
The only drag is the uninstaller does not work, but you can trash all the files manually if you have to.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 AM

Hi,

Yes, I got the license from AVID. Now I need to know how to get a copy of the correct Mac OS [full installer], and whether or not I can install the OS and PT10 on a separate drive attached to my brand new MacBook Pro. Will any of this stuff even work with the new MacBook Pro, or do I actually have to find an older computer too?

This is turning into an odyssey.

Any experts out there that can provide guidance here?

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, I got the license from AVID. Now I need to know how to get a copy of the correct Mac OS [full installer], and whether or not I can install the OS and PT10 on a separate drive attached to my brand new MacBook Pro. Will any of this stuff even work with the new MacBook Pro, or do I actually have to find an older computer too?

This is turning into an odyssey.

Any experts out there that can provide guidance here?

Thanks,

MD
That's not what I asked - do you have the license asset on your iLok?

You never want to install an operating system and boot from an external drive unless it's from a clone you're using to restore a system. Couple that with the fact you can't install an older OSX than what was on the machine to begin with when it first launched. Which means for current Macs you can't install anything that will allow the installation & running of PT10 (the new iMac Pro being an exception as that launched with High Sierra I believe). Add on the fact PT10 won't work right on anything past OSX 10.9.5.........

You do have options though. Upgrade to PT12 and use your current computer and you'll save money compared to buying a used Mac that'll run the OSX you need. OWC has some sweet deals on used Macs of all stripes and most of those can be run with Mountain Lion or Mavericks. Fly in the ointment though - you need to get a legitimate full installer for said OSX version you want. You may be able to get it through the Apple Store but you have to call them (or have a friend that has what you need).

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 01-23-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: corrected older OSX installation wording
Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 AM

If it's purely for the purpose of converting sessions that have SDII files, then you could do one of two things.

1. Install PT10 alongside your new version on the newer OS. They can co-exist, and it will function, but the menus & plug-in menus will behave erratically. For your purpose this does not matter. Also, the Un-Installer will not work. If you want to remove it, you'll have to delete each file manually.

2. Run the older Mac OSX 10.9.5 in a virtual machine such as VirtualBox(free) or VMWare Fusion.

Either way, simply load your SDII session into PT10, Save Copy In, and choose your save parameters. Close out, and open your newly converted session in PT12 etc.

As musicman pointed out, you will still need your old PT10 iLok license for it to do this basic conversion function. Avid should have really addressed this with a conversion utility back when they dropped SDII conversion support altogether.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's not what I asked - do you have the license asset on your iLok?

I don't understand what you are asking. I have the license on my iLok account. I have not activated it to the iLok.

Quote:
You never want to install an operating system and boot from an external drive unless it's from a clone you're using to restore a system.
Why? I hear of people doing this all the time.

Quote:
Couple that with the fact you can't install an older OSX than what was on the machine to begin with when it first launched.
Are you totally sure about that. Not replacing or disturbing the internal disk's OS, just booting from another disk with a different OS.

Quote:
Which means for current Macs you can't install anything that will allow the installation & running of PT10 (the new iMac Pro being an exception as that launched with High Sierra I believe).
Why would theiMac Pro be an exception just because it shipped with High Sierra? Why would that allow the installation of something that would allow the installation and running of PT10?

Quote:
Add on the fact PT10 won't work right on anything past OSX 10.9.5.........
Quote:
You do have options though. Upgrade to PT12 and use your current computer and you'll save money compared to buying a used Mac that'll run the OSX you need.
You misunderstood. I am already running High Sierra and PT12.8.3 on my MacBook Pro. I am just looking to use PT10 to convert some sessions that PT12.8.3 won't read due to SDII audio files.

Quote:
OWC has some sweet deals on used Macs of all stripes and most of those can be run with Mountain Lion or Mavericks. Fly in the ointment though - you need to get a legitimate full installer for said OSX version you want. You may be able to get it through the Apple Store but you have to call them (or have a friend that has what you need).
Finding a full installer is not easy. I think I found one on Amazon.

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
If it's purely for the purpose of converting sessions that have SDII files, then you could do one of two things.

1. Install PT10 alongside your new version on the newer OS. They can co-exist, and it will function, but the menus & plug-in menus will behave erratically. For your purpose this does not matter. Also, the Un-Installer will not work. If you want to remove it, you'll have to delete each file manually.
Are there instructions on how to delete each file manually? What files have to be deleted?

Quote:
2. Run the older Mac OSX 10.9.5 in a virtual machine such as VirtualBox(free) or VMWare Fusion.
Why can't I just install it on a separate drive?

Quote:
Either way, simply load your SDII session into PT10, Save Copy In, and choose your save parameters. Close out, and open your newly converted session in PT12 etc.
Does PT10 do anything different as far as converting sessions than PT7.3 would do? I have a rig with PT7.3 on it in storage. I just don't have much room to set it up where I am now.

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I don't understand what you are asking. I have the license on my iLok account. I have not activated it to the iLok.

Why? I hear of people doing this all the time.

Are you totally sure about that. Not replacing or disturbing the internal disk's OS, just booting from another disk with a different OS.

Why would theiMac Pro be an exception just because it shipped with High Sierra? Why would that allow the installation of something that would allow the installation and running of PT10?

You misunderstood. I am already running High Sierra and PT12.8.3 on my MacBook Pro. I am just looking to use PT10 to convert some sessions that PT12.8.3 won't read due to SDII audio files.

Finding a full installer is not easy. I think I found one on Amazon.

Thanks,
MD
What is so hard to understand about the question - is the PT10 license asset on your physical iLok?

People don't boot from external drives all the time. That is only for emergencies or to reload a system. Here's a thought - if your system drive is big enough partition it and load OSX 10.9.5 or OSX 10.8.5 and then load PT10. But you've already been told that.

The exception with the new iMac Pro is because it shipped with High Sierra and you can't install any OSX on that system. You never said what operating system was on your computer.

You think you found a full OSX installer on Amazon for which OSX version? I highly doubt that it's legit.

QAPLA!