Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Default JAMLAB - Input Line level very weak - PT 7.3.1 cs4

Hi,

I've just bought a JAMLAB USB interface and hooked it up to Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3.1 cs4.

Whilst is great for listening back to stuff I've already recorded using my MBOX2 in PT LE 7.3.1 cs4 if I choose to record through the JAMLAB the input line level is totally unacceptable.

I've plugged in a guitar via a Zoom pedal cranked up and even with the input level on the PC on max my highest input register is -16.1, and this is with strummimg chords. With finger picking it's -29.3

Does anyone know what's going on. I thought the point of the Jamlab was that you plug straight in and record guitar, but with these sort of input levels you'd need a mixer or another preamp to boost the signals which can't be right surely.

What am I missing here? Admittidly I really only bought the Jamlab to be able to mix and edit some stuff without having to lug roung the MBox2. But I also thought that it would be good for knocking down some ideas and not getting caught out by not having an interface in my bag.

What's the story - can you record guitar JUST with one of these or is it a case of "You just need a Pre amp!"

And in that case, why isn't the Zoom pedal enough?

Some thoughts please, cos this Jamlab seems like utter [bleep] for recording. I could get the same signal plugging in to my laptop via the 1/8' mic socket on the built in soundcard.

JazzyJ

Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: JAMLAB - Input Line level very weak - PT 7.3.1 cs4

Quote:
Whilst is great for listening back to stuff I've already recorded using my MBOX2 in PT LE 7.3.1 cs4 if I choose to record through the JAMLAB the input line level is totally unacceptable.
That's because the input of the Jamlab is not a line level input; it's guitar level.
Quote:

I've plugged in a guitar via a Zoom pedal cranked up and even with the input level on the PC on max my highest input register is -16.1, and this is with strummimg chords. With finger picking it's -29.3

Does anyone know what's going on. I thought the point of the Jamlab was that you plug straight in and record guitar,
Right, but you're not plugging straight in with the guitar, are you?

What zoom pedal is it specifically? It's hard to give you advice without knowing all of the facts.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM

I've spoke to M-audio, they say that it's not normal to have such a low input signal.

After trying different USB ports and also trying the Jamlab in WAVELAB as well the results were the same.

M-audio say, send the unit back to where you bought it from.

I have no choice but to do that and wait and see if a new one works better.

As for the guy asking "what zoom pedal is it specifically?"

The point was that even with the signal 'pre amped' (via the zoom pedal) the signal was still low.

The question is about 'input levels' or lack of them via the Jamlab.

Thanks anyway

JazzyJ

Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
As for the guy asking "what zoom pedal is it specifically?"

The point was that even with the signal 'pre amped' (via the zoom pedal) the signal was still low.

The question is about 'input levels' or lack of them via the Jamlab.

Thanks anyway

JazzyJ
You asked for help on this issue, and I was trying to offer it. My apologies if you are offended by my answers, but they are relevant to the issue at hand. You never mentioned plugging the guitar directly into the Jamlab, so the question about what Zoom pedal you are using is most definitely relevant. The answer was about 'input levels' as well. It's about what levels the Zoom pedal is providing to the input of the Jamlab.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Here ya go mate, here's the key to your understanding:

"I've plugged in a guitar via a Zoom pedal cranked up and even with the input level on the PC on max my highest input register is -16.1"

Notice the phrase "cranked up"

But thanks for your help, but you really should read the problem properly before offering advice.

I've been using Pro Tools from Audiomedia III, Digi 001, Mbox, Mbox2 and now some M-audio stuff, from PT 5.1 up to PT 7.4 on PC and MAC 0S9 and OSX and when I write in to the DUC with a problem I write it clearly. Thus the phrase "Cranked up" implying lots of gain. In this case M-Audio are saying that the unit is likely to be not working correctly.

But like I said, thanks for your willingness to engage.

cheers

JazzyJ