Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-02-2020, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 and Motu Midi Bug workaround

The latest MOTU XT 8x8 with new firmware, drivers, etc.. does not work with Pro tools Utlimate. Use the latest MOTU 128 8x8. Since the XT provides SMPTE, you need to use an alternate device if you need it. I have a lot of vintage equipment so I need many of them. As long as the MOTU XT is connected to your PC and windows service is enabled, the 128s will not work (see my previous post).

I use a Sedna 3.0 USB rack hub with 13 2.0 slots. I connected 6 128s to the hub and a "main" 128 to my PC for my main controller. In pro tools, I defined the synthesizers connected in the MIDI Setup. All the Motu 128 express units will show up as In your device list numbered from 1 to X.
I wrote down on a paper how I connected every unit in terms of which port was in-and-out but it still helps to confirm it with visual test.
Each 128 device will have 8 Ports. Since I plugged in all my vintage MIDI to each unit , by pressing a note on the keyboard I would see what channel and 128 unit location that keyboard is connected to. Assume it was on my Rack #2 and blinking port #3. I created a new midi track and set it to record. Next I would select that track's Input dropdown go to Predefined. I know it's on port 3 but which unit is it from the list? All of them are the same name with the exception of the prefix number. Starting at the top I would select the 1st 128 unit port 3, play some notes on my Prophet VS... nothing, I go back to the input and select pre defined number 2 port 3, try playing keyboard notes again. It works...The MIDI notes recorded on my test track. For this one, I need to add it to my MIDI setup

Next I would go in to MIDI setup in pro tools create a new instrument select it as General Midi then for MIDI IN and OUT choices select the identified 128 unit number and port you just indentified. Finally, give it its name... "Prophet VS-Rack2-Chan3". I would then go back to the track, select the new instrument and record midi from it. Play it back, etc... Repeat this for every synth or gear. To identify rack synths or effect units that do not have a keyboard Move a knob on the front panel of that vintage gear...watch the 128 unit and see if it transmits MIDI or play back a recorded midi track to see if it receives data, but you have to set the output of that channel in the same manner trying Predefined outputs until you id it. In many cases, just follow the MIDI cables once you ID the 128 unit. Finally export the settings and save it on a flash drive for safe keeping.

Seems the maximum number of MOTU 128s you can have in Pro Tools is 7.

Hope this helps someone with a growing list of vintage gear.

Last edited by Base12; 02-05-2020 at 07:12 PM.