Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-27-2021, 02:10 AM

Default Avid 8x8x8 - Remove the fan dilemma?

I have an HD I/O 8x8x8 that has been in a dedicated machine room for years and now for various reasons I need to have an interface in the control room with me. I'd like to use the 8x8x8 but the fan is too loud as I record in the same room... I was considering disconnecting the fan and wondered what the folks that really know the harware would think of that?!

I'm a composer and my PTs is only for playback of video with audio and printing demos. I know that the PSU will generate heat but I only use a fraction of the interface's capability... 1x ADAT In, and 4x audio out via the D-sub - that's all. Would it still get too hot put it in a rack with nothing above or below??

I have an Antelope Discrete 4 ready to go in it's place but just thought I'd ask the question before I made the swap!

Many thanks
Old 05-27-2021, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Avid 8x8x8 - Remove the fan dilemma?

I am not sure it will boot up without a fan connected. Do what I have done to ALL of my interfaces over the last decade. Swap the fan for something less noisy. Search for the least noisy currently available compatible fan. It was a long time since I last checked and I can't remember exactly what I put in last time. but Noctua Sileno x NF-A8 ULN is probably one of the most quiet ones available. It is simple to swap the fan, but you probably need to cut wires and splice them back, since there is just 2 wires for the AVID fan and the replacements usually have 3 wires. The third is for fan speed control and is not used in the Avid boxes so it is just 2 you are going to be using. Perhaps you can find something that is a drop in replacement.

It is SO worth it to do this. They go from terrible to pretty darn hard to hear unless you sit still and everything is quiet. You are still going to hear them, but only if you try to.

Phone +46707773443
Old 05-27-2021, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Avid 8x8x8 - Remove the fan dilemma?

Thanks so much for getting back - well that's great, I'll def look into it.
Good to hear it's not too tricky...

I guess also into the decision is weather the Avid or the Antelope has the better converters, from Adat in to audio out...