Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Room Correction

Hello

I'm wondering if anybody can give me some tips on room correction.

I've recently moved my "studio" from the hallway into my bedroom, mainly to get a more truthful sound, and have also purchased a pair of Alesis M1 MkII monitors to help with this.

I've heard that it's wise to "correct" the EQ of the new room before I start mixing in it.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can do this?

The only options available to me are to use some sort of EQ compensation on the output I think, rather than by hanging sound dampeners. (I don't think my girlfriend would be too happy with that).

I'm using Pro Tools M-Powered on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

Richard
http://www.dickymoore.co.uk
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Room Correction

Not only should your room be as flat as possible, it should be as dry as possible too. No early reflections, standing waves and so on. How serious are you about your music? (How serious are you about your gf?)
Before tuning any output with an eq, you should definitely try to tune your room! Sound dampeners, carpets and such might be a good start. You can still bribe her with jewelery or whatever, or let her pick the color of the carpet.
If everything fails, then there's always this solution .
Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM

The above is cheeky and scary sounding, but mostly right. The most effective simple thing is to:
- floor covered (carpet,rug)
- One wall of each facing pair covered (nice rug or something)
- Record with mics as close as possible to the instrument (but not too close - rule of thumb = about half as far away as the instrument is wide, eg if a guitar is 36" wide, mic it about 18" away).
This will help a lot with recording.

Re listening - either
1 - get a good pair of headphones (beware, many expensive and "good" headphones have a lot of extra bass, so try to find a pair that is relatively flat).
2 - Measure the room speakers using a calibrated mic and RTA, then tune (eg, create an eq plug0in template that you always use when listeing through those speakers, but turn it off when using anything else or mastering, etc) as suggested in the link above.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Many thanks for your help, guys!

D
x