Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-18-2022, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Track input monitoring from control surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I will also say that the soft key does not retain its setting. If I quit PT and reopen without restarting EUCON, the button (User 1 in my case) goes back to "Abort Recording", its default setting. No "Done" or "Save" buttons appear for me when I program the custom key combination.
There's a little asterisk on the Eucontrol profile when you change a button reminding you to save. I don't know why anything more is needed to remind anyone to save their adjustments.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
AH.

This makes total sense to me.

So, I’m going to be stubborn and say:
-at some point somewhere in my 20 years of doing this, I figured NOT linking track and edit selection is best for MY workflow. Maybe I can revisit this, but I’d rather not HAVE to - I’d like it to be a choice, not an ultimatum.
-it’s too late where I am to try customizing keyboard shortcuts, but I’m going to imagine there’s no way to implement input toggle on “track selection” rather than “edit selection”. If there ISN’T that option, I have to wonder - why one and not the other? Especially since the code is (was?) there from the Command 8 if nothing else? I KNOW I’ve asked about the option, especially since receiving the suggestion of the softkey on my Artist Control a while ago, and if I didn’t implement that workaround I’m going to imagine that it’s because it’s not available to be done.
-in the end, we can see that the feature request remains unimplemented all these many years later, and I remain frustrated with how to get AVID to bring this functionality back after having pursued it through the various “appropriate” channels. I am left to stomp my feet and complain like a brat, which is not a good look, but despite my annual support fee and re-upping with a control surface that isn’t yet EOL’d, the company I pay to make these things work is not catering to their customer. And as we can see by the most recent closed thread or my IdeaScale suggestion, I am not the only one.
Did you complain and stomp your feat towards auto manufacturers when they removed tape decks from cars, or for that matter, CD players?

Progress is progress with some losses. Being able to adapt to the changes is key. You have ranted and raved in these forums for years over this issue and several people have tried to help you adapt along the way, only to be met with resistance and continual griping about how the Command 8 did this and that.

If you don't want to adapt your workflow, that's on you. You can't expect everyone in the world, or maybe just Avid, to appease to your workflow because you're unwilling to change methods.

I get it, it's hard to adapt to new ways. I've been doing this a long time and sometimes I grumble at times; D-Command to S6 losing double tap track select to name a track. That feature is still not on the S6 but many new ones are.

Enjoy the S1 for all of it's features, bells and whistles. Be patient and maybe your wish will come true one day. In the mean time, generous people have given their valuable time to help solve your dilemma with viable solutions. It's your choice whether you want to use those solutions or not.

Happy Mixing!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:52 PM

Thoughts....

assign another softkey to toggle track/edit selection (command is Shift+T by default).

Hit that created softkey first
Select your input enables. (Sel or Fader touch and then the soft key set to input enable)
Hit that softkey that toggles track/edit again to disable.

(I've mentioned a better way in post 30 https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=30)

Last edited by BScout; 05-19-2022 at 09:49 AM. Reason: better way note added for future readers
Old 05-19-2022, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
There's a little asterisk on the Eucontrol profile when you change a button reminding you to save. I don't know why anything more is needed to remind anyone to save their adjustments.
There is nothing that I can see that allows me to save settings. If I can, then maybe my bodge can be to use a second user soft key to toggle “link timeline and edit selection” so I can mix AND toggle input monitoring all from the control surface while I continue to wait for a proper solution with my colleagues who are in the same boat.

Last edited by Neale; 05-19-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Did you complain and stomp your feat towards auto manufacturers when they removed tape decks from cars, or for that matter, CD players?

Progress is progress with some losses. Being able to adapt to the changes is key. You have ranted and raved in these forums for years over this issue and several people have tried to help you adapt along the way, only to be met with resistance and continual griping about how the Command 8 did this and that.

If you don't want to adapt your workflow, that's on you. You can't expect everyone in the world, or maybe just Avid, to appease to your workflow because you're unwilling to change methods.

I get it, it's hard to adapt to new ways. I've been doing this a long time and sometimes I grumble at times; D-Command to S6 losing double tap track select to name a track. That feature is still not on the S6 but many new ones are.

Enjoy the S1 for all of it's features, bells and whistles. Be patient and maybe your wish will come true one day. In the mean time, generous people have given their valuable time to help solve your dilemma with viable solutions. It's your choice whether you want to use those solutions or not.

Happy Mixing!
Incorrect.

Generous people have provided bodges and workarounds for a missing feature that was incorrectly dropped. Again, Eddie has admitted to me that this should have been included.

I don’t know how long you’ve been doing this, but for me it’s about 20 years. I remember when the input monitor function trickled down to regular PT from HD. Somehow hardware control functionality was added to the Command 8 at the time when this happened; AVID added the feature to a device that wasn’t designed to include that feature.. My argument is that with all the amazing depth and sophistication added for us with the EUCON series, how this didn’t get carried forward is mystifying. Please don’t tell me, a guy who kept his cheesegrater going with various unsupported mods until the PSU blew a cap, about obsolescence. I kept my 002r going until I decided that one day it would blow up too. Obsolescence is not the case here. Control surface integration for this particular feature was not carried forward for no good reason and no adequate workaround has ever been posted.

I was a good soldier, submitted my feature request via the Digi site, started an IdeaScale thing, whatever I could do through legitimate channels. No one ever told me it was impossible to do nor that my request was out of line all along the way. In the meantime my AVID product went EOL, and I was criticized by AVID for buying a “budget” control surface (Artist Control). I do not need a larger format control surface, it’s not a budget issue, so why insult my efficient needs like that?

I repeat - even Eddie admitted to me that it should have been carried forward.

I therefore continue to feel that I’m not out of line for asking for the feature to be reinstated, and I continue to feel slighted that it hasn’t been ticked off the “to do” list after over a decade of myself and others requesting a legitimate correction to the feature set.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 AM

It’s not out of line to ask…you rant and harass and just find ways to complain about the solutions people give you without looking for solutions yourself.

Hope you can enjoy using the many features the S1 brings to the workflow.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
It’s not out of line to ask…you rant and harass and just find ways to complain about the solutions people give you without looking for solutions yourself.

Hope you can enjoy using the many features the S1 brings to the workflow.
And therein lies the issue. But perhaps you can refrain from telling me how to behave through a keyboard and a screen without the benefit of knowing me personally.

I have asked time and again, politely and professionally, through the proper channels. Nothing ever came of it. I have had to resort to cajoling, begging, pestering, “squeaky wheel gets the grease” kind of nonsense. I have freely admitted that this bratty behaviour is not a good look but I’ve got a decade plus of frustration to deal with. How might YOU behave in such a circumstance? Maybe you’d handle it better than I have, maybe not.

I have come to realize that two things in particular may be what irk me most about the circumstance.

1) AVID has never said it will never happen, nor that it is technically impossible, simple, a challenge, or simply a super low priority (the last part seems blatantly obvious by now). The moment they tell me it will never happen for whatever reason, cool, I’ll stop. I’ll be super mad and disappointed but at least I’ll have a definitive answer.
2) it seems so unintuitive to have not reinstated this long ago. Imagine a console with the input mode switches by the patch bay? Imagine a camera mode dial where they pick one of PASM and hide it under a dust cap or deep in the menu structure? Maybe I’m weird, but if they have dedicated per-channel buttons for record, solo, and mute from that cluster in the PT channel strip, how do they not include the input toggle somewhere too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF580AF7-3E0F-4165-A75D-9D950747E977.jpg (25.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
There is nothing that I can see that allows me to save settings. If I can, then maybe my bodge can be to use a second user soft key to toggle “link timeline and edit selection” so I can mix AND toggle input monitoring all from the control surface
There's an asterisk indicator next to the focused application's name when it needs saving since a change was made (in this case, I made "Input Enable" into "Input Enables")

The Save button goes from greyed out to active.
Both these things only happen when a change has been made to the command set for an application (they are always linked to the application so the application needs to be in focus)

Old 05-19-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
There's an asterisk indicator next to the focused application's name when it needs saving since a change was made (in this case, I made "Input Enable" into "Input Enables")

The Save button goes from greyed out to active.
Both these things only happen when a change has been made to the command set for an application (they are always linked to the application so the application needs to be in focus)

Wow. How dumb can I be that I didn’t see the “Save” button nestled in there. Thanks so much for the screen grab, I will check it out.

Before the soft keys I was used to just ticking off the general preference selections and they would just persist without me having to “Save”. I think I had even gone in to change fonts and things but don’t specifically remember having to “Save”.

Much appreciated!

So then I can use two soft keys for that one exercise until Avid gets the request implemented.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:40 AM

Some other things...

Earlier I showed you the key type way.
There's actually a better way (because it doesn't require Pro Tools to be focused just locked to Eucon.) There are Euconized commands both for "input monitor tracks with selection" and to toggle "link track and selection"

So EUCON type this time:
Instead of "shift+I" use
EUCON > Transport > Record > "Input Monitor Tracks With Selection"

Instead of "shift+T" use
EUCON > Options Menu > "Link Track and Edit Selection"

That way, in case you click to something else (like to Finder), the Eucon Surface keys still continue to work (if you've locked Eucontrol to Pro Tools)