Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Multiple Artist Control units on the same network?

It's been a long time since I posted on the good old DUC. Been busy and my rig has been just about flawless. I have a dual platform studio...An i7 PC (DIY rocket) running PT 10/11 standard and a Mac Pro rig running PT 10/11 HD with HDX hardware. I own a Euphonix Artist Control that I've been using mostly on the PC but recently I've found the need to desire encoders for some Plugins we use...namely Revibe II. I was thrilled today to find I can run the artist on my network and share the interface with both rigs...after some trial and error I found it just involves quitting the Eucon ap on either unit to surrender it to the other even with PT still running on both rigs...that's awesome.

In spite of this I might not want to do that little swap so my question is: can one run 2 Artist controls on the same network with each one being dedicated to a specific rig. It seems like it's possible with what I've been experiencing in my recent tests. Eucon captures and commits the AC to specific rigs and ignores the other with the Eucon app is running in the BG until you quit the Eucon app.

I've read the many PDF's and it seems to imply that this is not do-able but it sure seems like it could be. Please LMK if I'm crazy with this idea. I know I can add Artist Mix units but I do prefer the Artist Control behavior esp for plugins and scenarios where I just don't need the faders. Heck I live with using Clip Gain...hardly have to grap a fader anymore.

THX, WD

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Multiple Artist Control units on the same network?

Hello,
Im running a setup similar to what you are describing. I have two artist controls connected in the same network. It works and you can tell EuCon to "automatically add My Devices Only" (or something like that anyway). That way EuCon remembers what controller should be connected to what machine. You can also rename the Controls within EuCon to make things easier to configure. What does, however, not work is adding more than one Control to a machine at a time. This will trigger the same error msg as when one tries to add more than 4 artist mixes to a machine.
/Klosse
Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Multiple Artist Control units on the same network?

Thanks so much for the reply and confirmation that this can be done. It seemed like my two Workstations would be happy seeing their own device while ignoring the other.
In spite of the many complaints here from users having problems with Eucon boxes it's been fairly smoothe sailing for me...of course with only the one Artist Control unit, I'm not stressing things that much...however the act of passing my Control from one computer, a Mac to another, a PC is a thing of beauty, and it feels like an advanced action to me.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television