Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Default ProTools 9 License question

I bought ProTools 9 on eBay for very cheap. Might have been a stupid idea, but I'm trying to recover. I received the software and it didn't come with any sort of registration card, serial number, etc. I have an iLok, but it only has a license for ProTools MP 7. Where can I purchase JUST a license for PT9? Or am I SOL?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Re: ProTools 9 License question

I think you would also have to get a license from a similar place like eBay, but you could get Pro Tools 10 from Avid. There may even be an upgrade option but I'm not sure since you're on 7.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Hmm, looks like it really was a stupid idea. Contact the seller and if he doesn't want to give back your money open a case. Also read again carefully the description of the item you have bought. Sometimes these guys are very resourceful and put a text with very small letters that normally you wouldn't notice. By the way, how much did you pay for it? Give a link to the item so we can take a look.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM

I only paid $65 for it. I knew when buying it that it might be too good to be true, so I don't feel too bad if I got completely screwed out of my money. Here is the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251065131723...#ht_714wt_1189
It says "please provide your own iLok and license", but since I have an iLok I figured I'd be OK. I don't fully understand the way the licenses work though. Am I able to purchase JUST a license, so that I'm able to use the software? Or would I have to start from scratch?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM

The software was $65 - I took a chance on it being too good to be true and I'm starting to think maybe it was. The page said "must provide your own iLok & license" - but I figured since I do have an iLok I'd be OK. I don't fully understand how licenses work though. Am I able to just purchase I license, or would I have to start from scratch?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 PM

And how did you decided that the guy offers Pro Tools 9?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmalz View Post
The software was $65 - I took a chance on it being too good to be true and I'm starting to think maybe it was. The page said "must provide your own iLok & license" - but I figured since I do have an iLok I'd be OK. I don't fully understand how licenses work though. Am I able to just purchase I license, or would I have to start from scratch?
You can get a license for Pro Tools 9 on eBay. Just make sure it's a reputable seller and that they agree to drop the license into your iLok account - if you don't already have one, you will need to open one anyway. I've bought plugins off eBay and haven't had a problem transferring the licenses. Usually the eBay seller will charge you whatever the transfer fee is as shipping. It really isn't that difficult. If you want to be totally safe though, you can pay the full price for Pro Tools 10 and put that license on your iLok. You would then just download Pro Tools 10 from the link Avid sends you.

Too bad they charged you that much for the software as you could have downloaded it for free - you just have to have a license to run it. I would seriously see about returning it as I don't even think that's legal for them to sell you just a CD.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM

Just curious , as I'm looking to buy PT 10 on ebay. Is a license that you can register through Avid the same as the iLok asset that would be deposited into your iLok account after purchasing? In other words, is there an iLok asset and a license, or are they one in the same? And if the latter, would that qualify to be upgradable in the future?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpkeys View Post
Just curious , as I'm looking to buy PT 10 on ebay. Is a license that you can register through Avid the same as the iLok asset that would be deposited into your iLok account after purchasing? In other words, is there an iLok asset and a license, or are they one in the same? And if the latter, would that qualify to be upgradable in the future?
License and asset are one in the same. Updates sometimes require registration(but not always as in the case of cs updates or X.X.X updates like going from 10 to 10.0.1). Upgrades are another story. Those are often tied to hardware(as in; to get the upgrade from PT8 to PT10 for a discount, you need the serial number of a piece of hardware, like an Mbox, 002 or 003 unit. And that serial number can only be used 1 time).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-01-2012, 01:03 PM

I just wonder if I buy a PT 10 HD license (transfer into iLok account), will I be able to register it at Avid like a new boxed version from say Guitar Center?
(Since it's no longer tied to hardware).

I'm only wondering cause I'd like to be able to upgrade to PT 11 when it comes out, rather than having to start from scratch. (Although obviously know one knows yet what kind of upgrade there would be to PT 11; just historically speaking there's usually an upgrade path.