Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Default MADI insert

Can MADI be used as a channel HW insert on a Venue Profile system? , i'm trying to simulate it on Venue standalone with no success.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Re: MADI insert

My desk is currently in transit to our next stop, so I can not verify for sure, but I do not believe it is possible to have an insert on anything other than the analog or AES cards of the venue foh/mix racks.

However, I really wish it could be done. I'd love to be able to use Slate Digital Trigger for drums (since I have not found a TDM version). This would require a ProTools system to be connected, and that seems like a little risky operation...along with the latency concerns that the plug-in adds...just does not seem like an ideal way to tackle this approach. =(

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks.

Apparently it can't be done on Venue.

I'm designing a setup where i need digital 32+ inserts processed live within Ableton Live and MAX. I was thinking on a RME MADI card and a Mac Pro to interface with this.

I love Venue, and i want this console for the setup, but maybe i will have to take another approach. It`s very frustrating to know that it can be done even on a Yamaha LS9.

Venue should have every I/O available as a HW insert! lots of possible scenarios there.

Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM

I understand your concerns. That is one of the limitations I have found with the Venue MADI stuff, is that you really can't create a custom MADI stream, aside from the 16 assignables. I don't know really a work around...unless you

1) have TWO madi cards in a FOH rack
2) direct out the desired 32 channels via the assignables on the two MADI streams
3) add in a MADI router to re-patch as desired
$) return those down through say the second MADI card in INPUT mode.

Maybe that would work? However, that would be a somewhat complex setup, and yet expensive setup...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili View Post
I'm designing a setup where i need digital 32+ inserts processed live within Ableton Live and MAX.
Hi, out of pure interest, what do these programs offer that you cannot process with Venue itself?

You do know that TDM processing is way way faster than any Desk>MADI>Native process>MADI>Desk solution?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Hi Digidesigner!

Is for a theatre play, i'm planning to process all input tracks plus some groups in Ableton Live and Max for FX (no compression or EQ). Mics and instruments will have filters, distortions, LFO in some cases, real time sampling, etc; And everything will be wirelessly controlled with ipads and custom made midi controllers.

HD-TDM was my first thought, but AFAIK can't be set as HW inserts. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ili View Post
Hi Digidesigner!

Is for a theatre play, i'm planning to process all input tracks plus some groups in Ableton Live and Max for FX (no compression or EQ). Mics and instruments will have filters, distortions, LFO in some cases, real time sampling, etc; And everything will be wirelessly controlled with ipads and custom made midi controllers.

HD-TDM was my first thought, but AFAIK can't be set as HW inserts. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Hi, what I did mean was, that as VENUE is capable of running almost all available TDM plugins internally you might be able to do all you need inside the console.

Snapshots section combined with Events will give you amazing control, but you might need even more deeper control if you plan using MIDI controllers and IPad's. Still, just so you know, there are also GPI inputs-outputs available for crazy setups for people like you

Maybe you can combine tasks with between desk-plugins and a computer. Running all that you mentioned on a single CPU using low buffers might also end up being a performance risk where VENUE is designed to run a lot of very low latency (most having only 2-3 samples) plugins live with great reliability.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Avid

Hi,

MADI isn't available as an insert point, but you can route up to 16 assignable inputs & outputs per VENUE MADI card, so use those for the channels that need to be processed externally.

To do this, route the channel's "dry" Direct Output to the MADI assignable channel output, process externally, then return the processed signal to a separate channel via the MADI assignable inputs. Route the processed "wet" channels to the mix (not the input channels feeding the Direct Outs). This effectively does what an insert would do, at the cost of needing two channel strips (one dry, one wet) for each channel that needs to be processed externally. It's possible to have many more channel strips than actual inputs, so this can normally be accommodated.

Sheldon
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Hi, out of pure interest, what do these programs offer that you cannot process with Venue itself?
As I posted above, there have been a couple of occations (for consistency with drummers at a church) that I would have loved to have the Slate Digital Trigger plugin, which is not available as a TDM plug-in. However, given the latency I have experienced using the plug-in in ProTools, it is probably not a good idea.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
As I posted above, there have been a couple of occations (for consistency with drummers at a church) that I would have loved to have the Slate Digital Trigger plugin, which is not available as a TDM plug-in. However, given the latency I have experienced using the plug-in in ProTools, it is probably not a good idea.
As a matter of fact I have asked for a drum triggering plugin for VENUE over at the Ideascale :) I know that I should be asking from plugin developer companies instead but oh well... TDM is obsoleted so highly unlikely will we ever see a plugin like that. Maybe an AAX someday? Who knows. Would be something that no other live desk would offer thats for sure