Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2000, 05:18 AM

Default Can\'t hear Audio CD???

Everything is running sweet inside Pro Tools!!........... however when shut it down and want to play a CD through either the Windows98se CD player or Real Jukebox I get no sound. It reads for a while, plays and all the CD info is on the screen but it is silent. Whack an mp3 on straight afterwards and I get perfect sound.......
1)mute is off!
2)System sounds are disabled
3)Pro tools is not open
4)Volume is up

any one had similar teething problems and possible remedies???

Old 11-01-2000, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Can\'t hear Audio CD???

Is the Digi 001 your only soundcard?

You must have a physical connection to a soundcard in order to hear CD playback. Most PC soundcards do this with a smallish wire running inside the PC's case, from the CD drive to the soundcard.

There is no such provision on the 001. You must run a cable somehow from the CD drive to the Digi inputs. You can use the CD's headphone output, or the internal audio connector, but you'll have to figure out how to adapt the cable to connect to a pair of the 001's inputs.

Then again, if you are running a soundcard in addition to the Digi 001, then I'm full of hot air. You have some other problem. Maybe something simple like the CD volume turned down or muted in your soundcard's mixer.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 11-01-2000, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike

The digi is my only soundcard, good spotting! I didn't realise it didn't support CD Audio.... I understand what you're getting at with the headphone jack

My Motherboard however, has onboard Sound which is disabled.... maybe I could use it for CD audio.... or would activating the onboard sound cause more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2000, 08:30 PM

I'd try it. Just to see if it works without causing problems. You could always just create a hardware profile for Pro Tools with the on board sound disabled. Just switch profiles when you want to listen to a CD. It might even work without the need for a profile. Who knows unless you try it? I don't think it would cause any harm. You could set it back the way it is now if there's a problem.

Mike
Old 11-02-2000, 05:21 AM

hi, guys...
my cd rom drive has an "spdif" output, so i plug it in the spdif input of the digi001 with a coaxial cable. it works fine...
most actual cd rom drives features spdif output.
have fun...
Old 11-03-2000, 05:54 AM

I tried running the sound through my onboard motherboard soundcard........... all my sound came through except the CD player still.......
The DIGI wave drivers don't seem to let it through??. I've had the system for 2 weeks and burnt CD's etc (i have a burner and a ROM running, my prograns are reading the right one!) so it is working all except this hiccup!
Old 11-03-2000, 08:29 AM

There just doesn't seem to be any output from the CD no matter which soundcard is running.........
I have 2 drives, a ROM and a burner and have succesfully burnt a couple of CD's so it is reading...... Real Jukebox spits up the CD ID also and file manager lists all the files on it.
could the DIGI wave drivers be stopping an audio signal because it doesn't support it?
Old 11-03-2000, 08:41 AM

No, I don't think the Digi drivers could block your CD audio. It sounds to me like there's no wire running from your CD reader to your motherboard's CD audio connector. There must be one for the audio to get from the CD to the on-board sound. You can pick up a universal internal CD cable for $5 or $10. That's all you should need.

Mike
Old 11-05-2000, 03:52 AM

Opened my PC up to check all your ideas........
there is an audio connector going from the drive into the motherboard. No SPDIF jack I don't think.
Just no CD audio singal coming through.......
Old 11-06-2000, 12:14 AM

MADFERRIT:

I recently auditioned the soundblaster card through my system just to see if I could get a CD to play through it again (it's not an on-board soundcard) and it worked.

In PTLE you must have programs running in the background unticked under preferences in order to give your other soundcard a chance to operate.

You will still need a line-out from the on-board soundcard into the 001. Input 3/4 will let you monitor without PTLE.

I had this same 'hiccup' after purchasing the 001. Digidesign has tested the soundblaster card and says it should work properly (it has for me). However, I don't know if that applies to on-board soundblaster cards if that is what you have.

Hope this helps.