Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 AM

Default Help Please! Pro tools 8, Reason 4 rewire

Hi,

New here.

Installed pro tools 8 yesterday and using it with Reason and an Mbox mini.
I just can't get rewire to work.
Well I can but it wont record MIDI.
First I created a stereo aux input track and put the insert to Reason, the rewire box came up etc.
Then created a Midi track an changed the output to the instrument in Reason.
I also changed the Midi input to be the midi keyboard but sometimes the keyboard doesnt show up as in input option.
I get levels in the aux input track but nothing in the Midi track.
I just want to record midi form reason into Pro Tools.

Could someone offer advice and tell me what to do, and also what every setting should be, including buses etc.

Thank you.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Help Please! Pro tools 8, Reason 4 rewire

/bump
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_09 View Post
I just want to record midi form reason into Pro Tools.
You cannot record MIDI from Reason into Pro Tools. You can record MIDI in Pro Tools that triggers instruments in Reason, but you cannot record MIDI being output by Reason into Pro Tools. It's just not possible. (Wishful thinking, but not possible)

If you have MIDI that is already recorded into Reason, you can export it, and then import it into Pro Tools, but the whole purpose for Rewire is so that you do not have to do that.

Quote:
Could someone offer advice and tell me what to do, and also what every setting should be, including buses etc.
Bfore we can give you detailed information, we need to know EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to record MIDI into Pro Tools that triggers instruments in Reason?
Are you trying to record the audio output of Reason into Pro Tools?
Are you trying to record MIDI into the MIDI sequencer in Reason?

It's really hard to give you the proper advice without knowing EXACTLY what you are trying to do. Reason is capable of many, MANY different possibilities, which is why it is such a popular and cost effective solution for so many users.

There are also multiple detailed tutorials already available in many, many places on the web, including (but not limited to):

The Propellerheads website(you have to login to your account there to view it; if you don't have an account there, you should)

Digidesign TV; Reason Adapted (while geared towards Reason Adapted, the process is identical)

Multiple...

...YouTube Entries(of varying quality and/or understanding; search to find more)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM

Hi, thanks for replying.
I basically just want to use the pro tools sequencer with instruments from Reason.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for replying.
I basically just want to use the pro tools sequencer with instruments from Reason.
OK, so you're not looking to actually record the audio output into Pro Tools, you just want to run it virtually?

This very basic tutorial from my website should be all you need.

~

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Ok, Ive done all of that but Im still not even gettin level on the midi track.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Ok, Ive done all of that but Im still not even gettin level on the midi track.
Then your problem is not a Reason/Rewire problem; it's a basic setup problem.

To be able to help you with that, we will need to know which controller, specifically, you are using, how you have it connected, and how you have it setup on the instrument track. For instance, if it is a USB controller, and you are turning it on after you start Pro Tools, it isn't going to work. All peripherals that you are going to use must be turned on when you start Pro Tools.

Also, where in that tutorial do I mention MIDI tracks? The tutorial specifically deals with Instrument tracks. Admittedly, Instrument tracks and MIDI tracks are very similar, but if you are following my basic tutorial, you would not, should not be using MIDI tracks (yet).

Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Avid

Also, make sure that MIDI Thru is checked in the Options menu.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Hi,
Appreciate all the support

I think the problem I'm having is when I open Reason within Pro Tools it keeps saying cannot open control surfaces. So i keep having to turn on/off my midi keyboard until it recognises it and I think that from turning it off it wont record properly.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I think the problem I'm having is when I open Reason within Pro Tools it keeps saying cannot open control surfaces.
I probably should have posted my other Reason tutorial for you as well... though I figured you might go browsing on my little help site there.
Quote:
So i keep having to turn on/off my midi keyboard until it recognises it and I think that from turning it off it wont record properly.
Yes, that is definitely what is causing your Problem in Pro Tools. The controller you are using must remain turned on as long as you are going to use it in Pro Tools and as long as Pro Tools is open.

Since you are not actually recording anything in Reason, you do not need Reason to recognize your controller. You are trying to record into Pro Tools, so the important part is that Pro Tools recognizes the controller.