Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Probably an EASY mixing question!

When it comes to laying down your mix, editing, mixing ect. Should a guy take in to concideration how the product will sound in other stereos?, what I mean is: when we are all recording and mixing on our pro tools we have no added bass, treble, eqs ect as far as the whole mix. When I put it in my car stereo, keep in mind I have woofers, tweets and 4 other mid range speakers with a 7 channel eq. I have a lot of added treble and bass and stuff. So what I am asking is should a guy leave the mix kind of bassey or muddy to allow for added highs and lows on a stereo when people crank their treble and stuff like that or will having it Mastered take care of that?? One more question do you think it is crucial to have a good studio Kick drum mic?? Thank You Everyone!~
Blues guy
Old 09-21-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Probably an EASY mixing question!

Welcome to the boards! In a short answer, yes you do want to refference your mix on as many other systems that you can get your hands on, but no you do not want to mix your tunes to compensate for someones EQ in their home, car...etc.. For starters, you want to have a good quality set of refference monitors in a well acoustically treated room. Next, take a few cd's that are similar to the style that you are mixing and give them a listen in this environment and mix your levels in your song to sound similar if you find something on the cd's that you like or until desired result is achieved. Once you believe you have everything just so, then you bounce the track and burn it on a disc and listen as many places on as many different systems that you can and see if your mix translates to your vision well in those environments. The trick is to mix your music with a flat system (no EQ) so that everything meshes well together and have it translate well to other environments. Goodluck
Old 09-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Probably an EASY mixing question!

Cool Man I appreciate the input!! Thanx again!!
Bluesguy