Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Quicktime 7 & TDM/Mix

1) I am all of a sudden having problems with Quicktime since I installed version 7. It does nothing upon launch... does not bunce in the dock, it is just there and there is a spinning color wheel. I really would like to convert my quicktime movie to DV again! How do I uninstall it and try again?

2) On another note, the Digi download page is a little confusing to me because it seems that TDM does not equal "for Mix systems". Can someone elaborate?

3) Lastly, I lost my Pultec EQ plugin thinking I was able to upgrade to their new version... It didn't work and I cant seem to get it back. Also I cant seem to get rid of the trial pop-up of Digi translator (and I'm really tired of hitting quit when launching PT's). It looks like I dumped it out of the plugins folder but there it is again and again!

Any help is appreciated!

spc

- PT's 6.4.1 Mix cube
- Mac G5 1.8 - 10.3.9
- Quicktime Pro 7
Old 05-10-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Quicktime 7 & TDM/Mix

I would think QT7 is not yet supported with Pro Tools. Got to be careful and not update anything without first checking the compatibility page on the site (esp system software... i see at the bottom of your post you're using 10.3.9 which is also not yet supported i believe. 10.3.8 was the latest last i checked). 10.3.9 prob wont give you too much trouble though. But as for qt7, I would think you could just drag the app to the trash and get an installer of the old QT version you were using and reinstall it. But not sure.

TDM just means the version of protools that uses pci cards as opposed to LE which is the native computer only version. So TDM could mean mix or hd systems since both use pci cards. nowadays they mainly use it to refer to hd systems since the mix is no longer supported.

contact whoever makes the pultec eq and ask for help.

as for digitranslator. there is a file called something like omf.dll in the digidesign folder that you need to delete. this will stop the demo version from popping up and asking you to try it. For exact instructions do a search for the million times this question has been asked here. i think its also listed in the answerbase, and other places on the site.

good luck

http://www.ericmilano.com
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
1) I am all of a sudden having problems with Quicktime since I installed version 7. It does nothing upon launch... does not bunce in the dock, it is just there and there is a spinning color wheel. I really would like to convert my quicktime movie to DV again! How do I uninstall it and try again?
- PT's 6.4.1 Mix cube
- Mac G5 1.8 - 10.3.9
- Quicktime Pro 7
6.5.2 reinstaller
Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Man, thanks for the speedy replies guys!

Ya know, I did well for a long time checking the site and NOT upgrading before it was time but this time I used the "software update" thinking I was behind (basically, not checking with Digi first).

I did find out about dumping that omf thingy last night but I still cant lose the Pultec plugin trial that doesn't work......... so yes I'll check with the Pultec folks and get going again.

So do I understand correctly that PT's 6.4.1 could be the last upgrade for my mix system? And that the TDM upgrade I see on Digi are for the people with HD hardware (Sync I/O, etc...)?

spc

P.S. I reinstalled QT, it does launch but it hangs up when trying to open my QT movie which I need to convert to DV. Not sure what the problem is now.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:19 AM

Pro Tools v6.4.1 is the last version of Pro Tools for Mix systems.

As for QT. Have you tried trashing your QT prefs. Go to your Mac OS Hard Drive > Users > home (icon of a house) > Library > Preferences: trash the following...
--com.apple.QuickTime Player.plist
--com.apple.quicktime.pluginpreferences.plist
--QuickTime Preferences
--QuickTimeFavorites

Also, go to Mac OS Hard Drive > Library > Caches: and trash the file...
"com.apple.Components.LocalCache.QuickTimeComponent s"

Empty trash, restart. See if that helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:

As for QT. Have you tried trashing your QT prefs. Go to your Mac OS Hard Drive > Users > home (icon of a house) > Library > Preferences: trash the following...
--com.apple.QuickTime Player.plist
--com.apple.quicktime.pluginpreferences.plist
--QuickTime Preferences
--QuickTimeFavorites

Also, go to Mac OS Hard Drive > Library > Caches: and trash the file...
"com.apple.Components.LocalCache.QuickTimeComponent s"

Empty trash, restart. See if that helps.
Well, I did what you said but Quicktime still hangs up when trying to open the quicktime movie that I really need to convert to DV. To add to this iTunes wont launch either. All of this happened after I mistakenly upgraded and installed Quicktime 7 last week.

Thanks for your help and any additional help.

spc
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Could always be the movie. Did you try reinstalling QT6 and opening it?

I haven't had any problems with QT7 or the new iTunes 4.8 on 10.3.9
Old 05-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Any help is appreciated!

spc

- PT's 6.4.1 Mix cube
- Mac G5 1.8 - 10.3.9
- Quicktime Pro 7
So, are you using your G5 with your MIX system?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:12 PM

Yep, my G5 with my Mix system which has for months worked flaulessly until the install of QT 7. Strangest thing.

I receive these same QT's all the time for each episode. Well, little movie window - here we go.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 PM

Serious? Well, that's big news. You're going to have to post more about your setup. What is the revision of your G5? How are the cards installed (what order), what playback engine etc - how many tracks are you able to run.

Apparently, this shouldn't work....