Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2003, 07:50 AM

Default Re: G5-100 plugins at 25% CPU

Quote:
Originally posted by Larryboy:
Visions of 20 instances of EXS, 30 audio tracks, each with its own RNC, RNV, RNEQ, dancing through my head. Who needs that power? What an idiotic question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Personal insults aside, your missing my point. Who says you can't get all that on the low end configuration?

We're all talking out of our ass here anyways, so I just wanted to throw out a different question. Besides, the Logic vs Cubase bake-off was questionable in so many ways its hard to reach a conclusion from it ("Look the G5 even sounds better!!!" [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] )
Everything That's Fly
Old 06-24-2003, 07:56 AM

in german...
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/techn...254320,00.html
Old 06-24-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
They said they were running EQ's on all tracks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually, the pdf specifies that each track has an EQ, a filter, a compressor, and a chorus. it's not clear which of these was doubled to get five on each track. but your general point still stands: none of those is a particularly CPU-intensive plugin. what's relevant, i think, are not the plugins themselves but the comparison, and the comparison is hard to be confident about because of the platform differences.

whatever. all we know at this point is, the G5s are real fast, certainly fast enough to compete with the fastest PCs, and they'll get faster when digi and the plugin makers come out with 64-bit optimized versions for Panther.

supposedly, recompiling software for 64-bit is relatively easy -- so hopefully we won't be waiting as long as we did for an OSX version of PT.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:30 PM

I, for one, think Digi realizes that DSP-based DAWs will have harder and harder times as the years go by and host systems get faster and faster. To me, the 002 and 002 Rack shows Digi hedging their bets a bit.

And I don't think it's any coincidence that Native Instruments is RTASing *everything*, nor do I think it's coincidence that Digi and Propellerheads did a joint press release for Rewire in ProTools 6.1.

This excites me more than anything. Anything that could get Digi to really focus on making ProTools even more killer as a audio/midi production suite is good for us... and competition will inspire these sorts of evolutions in the product.

Good times. Good times indeed.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Quote:
supposedly, recompiling software for 64-bit is relatively easy -- so hopefully we won't be waiting as long as we did for an OSX version of PT.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well the PPC platfrom as always designed with 64 bits in mind. Mac OS X the same It took one company 15 minutes to recompile the code. So I'd say by the end of the year Digi should.

Wiz