Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2003, 12:33 AM

Default APPLE G5 SPECIFICATIONS ! ! !

Apple inadvertently posted specifications for its forthcoming Power Mac G5 to the Apple online store late Thursday night. The accidental posting was first discovered about 11:45 PM EST, and was removed well within an hour.

The specifications confirm many of the details that had been circulating the web, but exceeded expectations in other areas. The new Power Macs were advertised as "the world's fastest personal computer," with the following options: 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, or Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 processors; up to 1GHz processor bus; up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM; Fast Serial ATA hard drives; AGP 8X Pro graphics options from NVIDIA or ATI; three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots; three USB 2.0 ports; one FireWire 800, two FireWire 400 ports; Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme ready; optical and analog audio in and out.

source: www.macrumors.com
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 AM

Default Re: APPLE G5 SPECIFICATIONS ! ! !

For the low price of $10,000.00 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 02:38 AM

no-one is mentioning this over at macrumors.com (probably cause they are all in to DTP or FCP).

But... optical audio i/o????

ADAT? s/pdif? t/dif?

seems pretty interesting like perhaps you could hook up some really superior ADC unit straight to the mac & use Logic or something...

I think Digi might be seeing a hefty chunk come off their proprietary hardware money spinning business here...

Mind you i'm of the opinion that the whole thing might be a fake anyway...
Old 06-20-2003, 05:11 AM

I dont think that Digidesign has anything to worry about. All onboard soundcards are crap. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2003, 07:30 AM

Plus you won't be able to use Pro Tools without Digi's hardware anyhow.

-Duardo
Old 06-20-2003, 01:39 PM

first the emagic purchase, now built-in optical in/outs, plus rumors that Apple is building a control surface for Logic: it's pretty clear that Apple wants to offer an all-in-one hardware/software solution for audio, video and post-production.

this is bad news for digidesign. if Apple will sell you a G5 with Final Cut Pro, Logic, and a control surface, the software is all 64-bit optimized, everything comes from the same company and is designed to work together from the ground up ... people are going to be a lot less willing to accept digi's overpriced hardware and proprietary plugin standards just because "hey, it's Pro Tools."

frankly, it'll feel a little dumb buying an mBox or an 002 and connecting via FireWire or USB when there are optical ins right there on the computer....
Old 06-20-2003, 02:23 PM

Yeah sounds interesting indeed!!
I love my 002 set up, but I use FCP and just got FCP4 and I seen a guy demonstrate Logic6 Wednesday....Whoa... Smpte/surround sound/unlimited tracks(I think),Freeze,AU,EXS24, midi..midi...midi. Heck my new FCP4 has 19 E-magic effects built in it!
And Logic, as is FCP, is from Apple. And now they're saying optical i/o and audio i/o on the new upcoming Macs? That new G5 comes with an video/ S-video out...Ohhh Boy!!
You know it's coming.....AN all in one Pro Audio/Video solution from APPLE, that'll work right away with each OS upgrade.
WOW! I sure hope this upcoming 6.1 version of PTLE will keep me from checking out other Native DAW options. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Wow ..kinda went on a tangent there..........New Mac specs look cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 12:08 AM

all onboard soundcards are crap, but digital optical in?

Seems like it won't matter what type of quality it is, as long as it can carry the signal and sync to the clock of say, an apogee mini me
Old 06-21-2003, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I dont think that Digidesign has anything to worry about. All onboard soundcards are crap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...true that is they way it was not the way it is now with Apple. I have a close friend that records all the marketing video presentations. He saw the machine first hand. This is a MEGA leap forward. Say hello to the bad guy...

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason