Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2021, 07:41 AM

Default Re: cmon Avid, it's time for hardware insert bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Looking forward to working with you
this is what im' talking about. you're a moderator here and you're getting into flame wars with people. That's the antithesis of what a moderator is supposed to do.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
this is what im' talking about. you're a moderator here and you're getting into flame wars with people. That's the antithesis of what a moderator is supposed to do.
Relax, Chris and I can take some flame. It's okay.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:46 PM

I hate to bring up other DAW's but I've recently used Reaper and wish Pro Tools inserts were as powerful as the ReaInsert plugin. There are both input and output faders for hardware inserts as well. Not only can you mute the insert but it also gives you a blend knob too! Here's where that's great...

I can put my Warm Audio Bus-Comp on my Master Bus FX inserts and use the blend knob to give the Bus-Comp the ability to do parallel compression. That's nice because although it does have a bypass button, it's just a button and not a blend knob.

And for the moderator who says bypass is something only hardware should have, here are some famous examples of gear that don't have a bypass... the 1176 and LA-2A. Neither does the Klark Teknik KT-2A clone. So it's not that strange for hardware to lack a bypass button. My Chameleon Labs 560 EQ (1073 clone) has a bypass button but it only bypasses the 3 EQ knobs and not its high pass filter. I do agree with the philosophy of that moderator in that all hardware should have a bypass switch but I'm greedy and also want all hardware to have a blend/mix knob too. That's one thing I love about my new Bluey compressor by BLA. It's got a big mix knob with a lot of range.

So if Reaper can do it for $60 for years why can't Avid do it for $200/year (perpetual license still)? I don't need to be reminded you can't bend the laws of physics but if Reaper and so many other DAW's can implement this, then there's no excuse why the Pro Tools Hardware Insert plugin should be so primitive. And a hardware insert bypass update should also include a blend knob and input/output faders for the insert. All Avid has to do is provide what Reaper and others have provided. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Last edited by LesPaul2550; 10-15-2021 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Thought of other points
Old 10-15-2021, 10:55 PM

I'm going to defend Pro tools. I really like the simplicity of hardware inserts. I wouldn't change a thing except implementing a ping ADC. If I want parallel processing I can use an aux.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I'm going to defend Pro tools. I really like the simplicity of hardware inserts. I wouldn't change a thing except implementing a ping ADC. If I want parallel processing I can use an aux.
Yep feel the same, particularly since hitting the active /inactive button, takes exactly no longer than if there were a bypass button.. So while I realize people often view their own subjective concept of how to implement things as "the best" solution ,,,this seems to me to be more a matter of ----"6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other".

But I can say that having to take the extra step instantiate a HW insert plugin apparently like Reaper and definitely in Studio One,,, as opposed to simply having it be part of the inserts I/O (as it is in PT) is not not as quick and efficient and I'm (only guessing here ) but perhaps how they can offer a bypass ??? And Honestly I would not want PT to implement that extra step of a plugin for HW inserts just to have a "Bypass" button

But I will admit I am pretty frustrated right now with Studio One, because while the while the Pipeline HW insert plugin, works for my HW compressor,,, I cannot get it to function for my HW reverb and it is frankly a PITA and S1 support appears to be non existent

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-17-2021, 01:14 AM

I would warmly welcome hardware bypass.
Moving over to a particular unit in the rack and out of the listening sweet spot to physically hit bypass is often times not ideal.
While you can de-activate with transport running, there is often a nasty blast of noise associated with that, which can mentally take you „out of the zone“ when doing critical listening with minimal processing going on, especially when it comes to mastering and/or with the client in the room.
I am aware that each hardware insert would probably need an additional voice, so it would probably make sense to add a global preference for hardware bypass where the user can decide whether he really wants it.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul2550 View Post
I hate to bring up other DAW's but I've recently used Reaper and wish Pro Tools inserts were as powerful as the ReaInsert plugin. There are both input and output faders for hardware inserts as well. Not only can you mute the insert but it also gives you a blend knob too! Here's where that's great...

I can put my Warm Audio Bus-Comp on my Master Bus FX inserts and use the blend knob to give the Bus-Comp the ability to do parallel compression. That's nice because although it does have a bypass button, it's just a button and not a blend knob.
I couldn't agree more! I use parallel effects a lot, and now it always requires setting up unneeded sends, busses, auxes, regrouping them, i.e. totally cluttering the mix window with unneeded strips. Having this available within the HW insert 'plugin' (along with phase) would have been a logical evolution of the insert functionality.

Here you see that AVID completely lacks innovation. While all the other DAWs just keep advancing.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 AM

Is this really so much of a problem? Doesn't command-control and click hardware insert disable it for you?
Old 10-17-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Is this really so much of a problem?
imho it is not a huge problem but my world would be better if hardware plugins had bypass.
Have you ever had a mix cranked up in the control room with multiple clients in the room and someone asks you to take off the compression on the master bus?
My speakers are too expensive to CMD-CTRL-click the hardware I/O plugin and neither do I want to explain to the client where that loud click and burst came from every time I do this, sorry..
Old 10-17-2021, 04:31 AM

Sorry, but you cannot beat the laws of physics. With delay compensation on, there is simply no way to bypass hardware insert without a click or pop. It will change the mixer's delay compensation. Only way for no-pop is stop playback, disable hardware insert, playback again.

Any other solution adds to the total latency. I have no knowledge if other daw are adding extra 32 samples or something to take care of something like this, but PT does not work that way.