Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Default @ Avid / DTS : PT 10 & Media Composer

As I understand it, Media Composer version 5.5 is to be the last 32bit release, and PT10 seems to be in the same boat - acting as a bridge between 32bit legacy hardware and software (I/O + TDM & RTAS) during the transition to AAX across the board and eventual 64bit software.

As Media Composer has only fairly recently gained the ability to use RTAS plugins, is it safe to assume we can expect MC 5.6 / MC 6 to not only run AAX plugins, but also run as a 64bit app?

Does this signal a convergence of the underlying code between Pro Tools and Media Composer, which would improve project round trips and offer parity between relevant features (we at long last have handles on processed files and also now have "clip" based gain - meaning regions in old Pro Tools parlance are now using Media Composer vernacular - does this mean we will soon see Bins etc)?

In terms of hardware, PT10 is to be the final release that supports all but the newest generation of hardware. So moving forward means cutting loose TDM, 192 IO, 96 IO, Sync box, MIDI box, Control 24, Command 8, Pro Control, 002-003 and mbox2 etc.

As far as I'm aware, the current range of Avid Video hardware options are compatible with a 64bit O.S. is that correct, or will there be necessary obsolescences on that front too?

Exciting times ahead for sure, but I'm trying to get my head around how many things may need to be upgraded in the next year or so.

Cheers!