Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 AM

Default Disabling active Instrument Tracks

I am using Pro Tools 7.4 and regularly use Reason 4 as a slave, as well as several Instrument plug-ins in my Pro Tools session.

After I have recorded MIDI on my instrument track and wish to hear it during playback but also wish to audition/record other MIDI instruments simultaneously, how can I disable the original MIDI instrument (apart from muting it and thereby also disabling the recorded midi from playing back). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Disabling active Instrument Tracks

I don't know if this is an answer, but that´s why I never use instrument tracks.
Audio + MIDI + AUX track is what I do always.

It´s much more versatile.

best
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 AM

Thatz not really a more versatile solution but I'm sure thatz ur preference...

as to u Jack, I'm not really clear on what ur asking? are u trying to play the exact same instrument after recording it the 1st time? not sure if thatz what u mean or why u'd wanna do that... if ur audition other sounds/VI's then of course u would create more instrument tracks...

If its a multi VI then u'd create the instrument track & then too create Midi tracks to coincide with how many instruments u use in that particular VI...

I don't kno if I answered u because I really don't kno what ur asking...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 AM

If I understand your question, the easiest way is to just duplicate the track (highlight the track, right-click it, select track>duplicate). This copies all the midi as well as the instrument. Then just switch out the instrument from Reason to whatever else you want, and then something else after that, etc. You can just mute the original Reason track, or deactivate it if it's taxing your CPU (right-click>deactivate).

If your CPU can handle it, you could duplicate the track several times, inserting different instruments on each track, then muting the others to compare side by side.

Of course, once you make your decision, you'll want to delete the extra tracks.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:37 AM

Sorry, I don't think I was clear with my original post. I'll take an actual example and go through it step by step:

1) I create an instrument track, insert a VI and record a MIDI part onto it which then sounds during playback.

2) I then create another track (either Instrument or Stereo Audio track) and insert Reason onto it as a Rewire application.

3) When I go to record a track in Reason itself, the first VI sounds ALONG WITH the Reason sound which is being auditioned.

So when I go to record the Reason track it is distracting to hear both sounds and I'm wondering whether there is a way of muting the VI input while still being able to hear the recorded MIDI on its track during playback.

Hopefully this is clearer and thanks for your replies.

Jack
Old 02-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Why not just keep it all in PT recording the REASON track as well on an Instrument track in PT that way u don't get that prob... otherwise yeah, ur playing midi with 2 different DAW open so thatz gonna happen...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)