Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-03-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Elastic Audio - Relative Pitch Shift of Multiple Clips with Different Pitches

Heyo,

Does anyone know if there's a way to select multiple clips that each have different elastic audio real-time pitch shift applied and then shift them all relative to their current 'pitch position?'

The scenario - I'm a television music editor. I've been working on a cue for a scene and to make the ending work nicely I've had to change a few things around, add some different stems, pitch this one up, that one down, etc... Anyway, I bring in a cue (set of stems) for the proceeding moment and that works well but the key isn't jiving with the previous cue. If I could pitch this new cue up or down I would, but just by nature of the instruments/sounds used it isn't responding well and its squirrelly after only 1 semitone shift. I need to shift the previous cue, but within that cue there are probably a dozen clips of varying pitch positions.

I've attached a screenshot of what I mean. When you have multiple clips in selection that have different elastic audio pitch positions, it'll have an * in the Pitch Shift field in Elastic Properties. There doesn't seem to be a way to move them all up or down in a relative position. If I try to drag it, or input a new pitch value it just resets them all to the new value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 10.25.30 AM.jpg (60.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio - Relative Pitch Shift of Multiple Clips with Different Pitches

If you commit the pitch changes, then consolidate the set of clips you wish to change, then re-enabling Elastic Pitch will allow you to change all by the same number of semi-tones. I am not aware of any other way to do it. Using Melodyne might give easier control and better-sounding results

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2021, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio - Relative Pitch Shift of Multiple Clips with Different Pitches

Try clip group then EA pitch.
Not near a rig to try, so it may or may not work.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you commit the pitch changes, then consolidate the set of clips you wish to change, then re-enabling Elastic Pitch will allow you to change all by the same number of semi-tones. I am not aware of any other way to do it. Using Melodyne might give easier control and better-sounding results
True, but I would rather not commit the pitch changes until the music has been approved by the client. Also, not sure if you've ever tried pitch shifting a pitch shifted piece of audio, but it doesn't generally respond well :)
Old 12-07-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Try clip group then EA pitch.
Not near a rig to try, so it may or may not work.
Unfortunately, you cannot group clips on Elastic-Audio enabled tracks.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop View Post
True, but I would rather not commit the pitch changes until the music has been approved by the client. Also, not sure if you've ever tried pitch shifting a pitch shifted piece of audio, but it doesn't generally respond well :)
I agree, which is why I do 98% of my pitch changes with Melodyne

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave