Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

then everybodys happy. no hamstrung ADC issues or lack of stuff......exact products, just one for music producers and one for AV
Old 12-10-2020, 10:54 PM

10 pages in, the thread is pretty much a carbon copy of so many others. Every year there's 2 or 3 of these, all saying essentially the same things.

Avid continue to do financially very well, year on year (see my link to previous post). Nothing will change, regardless of how many people say it will. This is Avid, this is how they do business, they couldn't care less what gets written on the DUC. They haven't had a rep in the Pro Tools forum for many, many years now, we're not a community with which they wish to engage beyond our shrinking annual list of pre-selected choices for our bonus new feature of the year. That is the sum total of their interest in dialogue with the pro tools community.

Anyone who doesn't NEED Pro Tools shouldn't use it, simple as. If you do and you have a permanent license, these are still your only options.

1. Pay $199/$399 per year to keep updates coming on a permanent license
2. Switch to subs which will be slightly cheaper ongoing but lose the permanent license
3. Opt out of updates

On (3), for how long will you be happy with the version you have? Will you still be able to put it on a new machine or new OS version in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Will Avid still offer a reinstatement option at an eye-watering sum? All these things are unknowable, but I'll confess I've lost track a little with regard to what Avid have said about discontinuing reinstatements - can anyone remember / share a link?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-11-2020, 03:25 AM

Some great points there.

Personally I think change is inevitable. The marketplace is different compared with 10 years ago and much different to 20 years ago. There are now scores of affordable DAWs just as there are scores of affordable plugins to run in them.

Scores of people bailed and run legacy Pro Tools systems on older versions and hardware, or just left all together for greener pastures. The exponential price rises have seen multitudes leave at the lower end of the market and at the top end many big studios have gone to the wall. Post is the last bastion and cash cow for Avid and it looks like they will try and milk us all till we run dry.

Who knows where it will end up but these policies are not popular with users and Avid are clearly loosing market share.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-11-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
To your previous response, no hurt perceived.

The GUI for Nuendo looks ok, not too dissimilar to Wavelab (which I haven't used for a while myself but I have friends who do). It's the functionality and user experience is what will slow me down.

I did let my plan lapse at one point a while ago then reinstated after enough time to have the reinstatement be "cheaper" than paying renewals during the span.

Buying another reinstatement from a 3rd party is not a bad idea to sit on for a while, but the improvements since then have been good for me. I don't seem to have the same kinds of bugs that others seem to encounter. My problems have been more hardware related, especially when I tried to add a used Omni to my HD IO and 192. It didn't play nice with everything else so I pulled it out and went with a different solution.
Be careful if you're thinking about using Sweetwater to buy a reinstatement to a permanent plan. It appears that Ultimate reinstatements are still available ($999 US) but not for vanilla users. Best to email them.

QAPLA!
Old 12-11-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rigby View Post
Avid seriously had better get with the program.
1. The internal bussing of Davinci Resolve Studio 17 and Nuendo 11 both cope with straightforwad 7.1.4 and up without any workarounds.
2. Nuendo has NATIVE integration with Dolby Atmos Home and Netflix based tools for compliance.
Not only this, but it has a native light version of spectral layers (similar to Izotope RX) and ARA compliance.
3. The cost of Davinci Resolve Studio for life is the equivalent to a Pro Tools Ultimate yearly subscription. The fairlight system with Protools keyboard shortcuts and similar smart tool makes transition a breeze.
I have been a user of Pro Tools since it was Sound Tools on Audi Media cards, through 888s ,Nubus, Sample Cell, Mixplus ,HD and HDX.
When my next subscription is due, I , like many of my musical and post cohorts, am seriously thinking of jumping ship to a platform that does not rely on being the reputation of being the"standard".
My opinion is that Tools has been resting on its laurels for to long and the other platforms features and costs have overtaken the value for money that Avid supplies.
The standard is market driven and Avid is seriously dragging the chain.
If tools wants to continue being this "standard", they had better up their game.
great post.

Avid has traded on being the industry standard for years. But changes to industry standards DO happen. The number of people I see migrating from PT to Reaper is amazing to me. Personally I'd rather lock to a legacy PT version rather than jump ship at least for now, but the fact that so many people are seeking alternatives, which in many cases have worse ergonomics/interface shows that something is seriously wrong.

People saying 'if you dont need it dont buy' - you're utterly missing the point. If enough people don't buy, the app will eventually die. Then it'll be a big problem for you too.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
great post.

Avid has traded on being the industry standard for years. But changes to industry standards DO happen. The number of people I see migrating from PT to Reaper is amazing to me. Personally I'd rather lock to a legacy PT version rather than jump ship at least for now, but the fact that so many people are seeking alternatives, which in many cases have worse ergonomics/interface shows that something is seriously wrong.

People saying 'if you dont need it dont buy' - you're utterly missing the point. If enough people don't buy, the app will eventually die. Then it'll be a big problem for you too.
How I wish Avid could read your post. I use Reaper in parallel to Pro tools just for being prepared if that day will come.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
...If enough people don't buy, the app will eventually die....
How, in fact, are AVID's current sales of Pro Tools? Does anybody here know the answer re sales numbers? The bottom-line drives everything; all else is opinion & speculation.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post

Anyone who doesn't NEED Pro Tools shouldn't use it, simple as. If you do and you have a permanent license, these are still your only options.

1. Pay $199/$399 per year to keep updates coming on a permanent license
2. Switch to subs which will be slightly cheaper ongoing but lose the permanent license
3. Opt out of updates
Yep, and just like the millions of threads like this every year, we have one of YOU in here. The typical "whelmmm mhmmm if you dont need it dont use it" or "just dont use it"! Wow, thanks guy! What a revelation! "Just dont use it" I can't believe we've finally found the answer to life!

"Just keep paying 199", another BS statement, you know for a fact they doubled that out of nowhere and removed reinstatement to really screw over the perpetual customers. "Hey guys, just pay the double, the practices dont matter. Just dont use it then!" So if your bills doubled, I can just go ahead and say "don't use" whatever you're paying for then? We have no right to complain about doubling prices and removing plans to get back in updates? Huge apologist mindset, happens everytime in these threads.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Be careful if you're thinking about using Sweetwater to buy a reinstatement to a permanent plan. It appears that Ultimate reinstatements are still available ($999 US) but not for vanilla users. Best to email them.
I won't buy from Sweetwater, but thanks.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
I won't buy from Sweetwater, but thanks.
Why is that, can you elaborate? Even someone from EU would buy from Sweetwater if there are no specific restrictions in where they can sell