Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 12:09 AM

Default Pro Tools ultimate and Pro Tools differences concerning CPU handling.

Hi,

I migrated from Ableton to Pro Tools because Ableton couldn't handle all the audio I was recording and it was crashing constantly. Using Pro Tools Ultimate (trial version) I haven't had problems, only during the beggining but then I increased the buffer size. However I'm planning on buying Pro Tools but not the ultimate version and I want to ask the people here if Pro Tools handles CPU, Audio & Data as well as the ultimate version does? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools ultimate and Pro Tools differences concerning CPU handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Before-23 View Post
Hi,

I migrated from Ableton to Pro Tools because Ableton couldn't handle all the audio I was recording and it was crashing constantly. Using Pro Tools Ultimate (trial version) I haven't had problems, only during the beggining but then I increased the buffer size. However I'm planning on buying Pro Tools but not the ultimate version and I want to ask the people here if Pro Tools handles CPU, Audio & Data as well as the ultimate version does? Thanks in advance for your answers.
There's no difference between Ultimate and non-Ultimate as far as system performance. Just make sure you have a system that can handle the load. What are your system specs?

QAPLA!
Old 07-05-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools ultimate and Pro Tools differences concerning CPU handling.

Both Protools and Protools Ultimate have the same system requirements but the capabilities are different. Protools ultimate can make use of Avid processor cards that offload some heavy DSP processing of plugins written to use them so the computer's CPU does not need to. Perhaps the best place to look is this comparison between the different versions of Protools.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-05-2021, 07:02 PM

Procesor : Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-825OU CPU @ 1.60GHZ 1.80 GHz

Installed Ram Memory : 8,Gigabytes (7,88 usable Gigabyes)
Old 07-15-2021, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Before-23 View Post
Procesor : Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-825OU CPU @ 1.60GHZ 1.80 GHz

Installed Ram Memory : 8,Gigabytes (7,88 usable Gigabyes)
Forget about it with any version of PT. PT wants a minimum of 16 gig ram and a cpu closer to 3 GHz. Keep using your machine for internet stuff but for any kind of music work - get a more powerful computer.

PS: Interesting that I JUST got an email notification of a response in this thread when the last post was 10 days ago.

edit for additional question:
What's your exact operating system? There's no such thing as TMI (too much info) that one can give when asking for help.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 07-15-2021 at 07:05 AM. Reason: additional question added
Old 07-15-2021, 04:24 AM

I recommend Reaper if that's the machine you're using. Very efficient.
PT has too many overheads for a low-spec machine.

Dominic
Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 AM

Standard and Ultimate software are the same, use the same installer, and you only need additional Ultimate license to unlock the extra features.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PS: Interesting that I JUST got an email notification of a response in this thread when the last post was 10 days ago.
The DUC is struggling