Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-24-2020, 12:26 AM

Default MIDI Record works but not Retrospective MIDI Record or MIDI Loop Record

Hello, I have been stuck on this one and I have scoured the forums and also tried changing my configuration with 2019.10, 2019.12 and running them both on Mojave and High Sierra.

I'm not in Quick Punch record mode which is what other people seemed to be getting tripped up by. I've also set the MIDI pref for default thru instrument to the proper setting.

I am able to do a regular MIDI record totally fine. But as soon as I go into playback in regular record mode with my armed track, hit a few midi notes, and then stop playback and try to activate Retrospective Record, all I get is an empty MIDI region. And the same is true for loop midi recording. Just a blank MIDI region.

The thing is that I feel like over the last couple months Retrospective Record would randomly work and then not work again. I don't think it's a setting but maybe it is.

I even tried a clean install of Pro Tools and when I loaded it back up, the first think I did was create a MIDI track and Retrospective Record DID work. And then as soon as I clicked around without changing any prefs and then tried it again, No luck! So this leads me to think there's something else wrong.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Configuration:
iMac Pro (Late 2017)
OSX Mojave 10.14.6
Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 with HDX
Old 03-24-2020, 01:27 AM

Default Re: MIDI Record works but not Retrospective MIDI Record or MIDI Loop Record

I've not used this feature until now, but I just read the Reference Manual about it and tested. Seems to be working as described for me currently on 2019.12 with Quick-punch enabled (which should have nothing to do with MIDI), default thru instrument set to first selected MIDI. I'll try to continue testing it when I work.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Default Re: MIDI Record works but not Retrospective MIDI Record or MIDI Loop Record

Thanks for the reply. I've gone so far as to start service case with Avid.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:47 PM

confirmed, loop record with midi leaves you with a blank track :/
Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM

I'm having this issue with Loop record. my professor started having the same issue but i have't seen a way to fix it as of yet. super frustrating as it is a requirement of my assignment and will affect my final grade. I may need to open a case with Avid as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoffset View Post
confirmed, loop record with midi leaves you with a blank track :/
having done a bit more testing it works on a new project started in 2019.12 but not on a previous project which I think was created in 2019.10.

have tried to reimport the old project but that didn't work. have started a case with avid support...
Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM

Avid support responded saying they can't recreate the error and asked for me to send them one of my sessions. They also asked me to look into the pro tools optimizations. I sent them back a session and directed them to this thread where multiple people have voiced similar issues within a couple days of posting.

I'm on version 2019.12 now. I've tried trashing my preferences and workspace preferences now as well. I'd like to try and go back to 2018 to see if it works properly there, but 2018 isn't compatible with Mojave, which is where I'm at now.

If anyone has any workarounds for reactivating this setting that would be amazing.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindabed View Post
I'm on version 2019.12 now. I've tried trashing my preferences and workspace preferences now as well. I'd like to try and go back to 2018 to see if it works properly there, but 2018 isn't compatible with Mojave, which is where I'm at now.

If anyone has any workarounds for reactivating this setting that would be amazing.
Have you tried creating a blank new project in 2019.12 to see if it works there? I suspect it is something to do with files created in a previous version of PT, but it is only a hunch right now...
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 AM

Here's a video of the issue happening in a new project, works on bar 1, but nowhere else it seems... warning may contain bad midi piano playing!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gn...zcDKGEZTuh-wFs
Old 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM

From what I can tell, this is similar to a bug I recently reported and it was marked and logged as a known bug/defect.

The problem is actually "Midi Merge". When Loop Record is turned on, Midi Merge automatically turns off causing this issue.

Try this: Put record on normal and then turn Midi Merge off. Start recording or use Retro, you will get the same result.... no midi. Now, grab the empty midi clip and extend the end out around 10 bars. The midi notes you recorded will appear far ahead by a few bars.

The only workaround is not to use Loop Record for the moment.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii