Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2001, 10:39 PM

Default cd-r audio playback quality??

Help!!! I've spent several hours searching for a post in the last couple of months I remember dimly: buying some converter for $70 0r $80 to upgrade the audio (d:a??) quality of the internal cd-r on the G4 so that it equals high end cd players?? Anyone remember this one? It's especially hard to search when you can't select a search time frame between 30 days and 3 years.
Old 12-18-2001, 11:34 PM

Default Re: cd-r audio playback quality??

Doesn't make sense: you're recording 0 and 1 to your CD, there's no conversion!

6am eternal
Old 12-19-2001, 11:20 AM

Here's the post someone helped me find:
Don't settle for CD audio out the built-in outputs. That is probably the worst sounding cd player possible - cheap d/a converter built into the cd-rom feeding out to crappy cables snaking through your case to a plug where the signal goes through unsheilded printed circuits to the minijack output, all of which is subject to the EM hell known as your computer's interior.
You need a cd-rom driver that routes cd audio out the drive interface (ATA, SCSI, etc) rather than the analog outputs. I would expect the Apple drivers would do this, but my only cd-rom is a cd-rw, so I use the Toast 5 driver, which routes the audio in the desired fashion. CD Speed Tools also has a driver which enables digital audio routing, I'm not sure of which others do it.

Once you've got a proper driver, just set the sound output to Digidesign in the Sound control panel and slap in a disc, assuming you've already used the Digidesign control panel to configure the system to accomodate the 001.

The result is comparable to a $700 CD player, like an Arcam Alpha 8 or Rega Planet, worth the money for a proper driver to say the least!
Old 12-19-2001, 11:46 AM

Maybe I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do...but if you want to get the highest quality audio from a CD into Protools (IMO) you should be extracting the audio CD tracks to SDII files and importing into Protools, or listen to them using your fave software based media player. Toast has an extracter that is ok. SoundApp does a great job extracting. Once you get the files extracted you can preview and import into PT a whole lot faster than playing them into PT an everything stays digital. Hope this helps!
Old 12-19-2001, 06:28 PM

was the desired goal just to play a cd through your digi001? if so, just go into the sound control panel and choose it...all audio will then play through the 001 instead of the built-in sound card...
Old 12-19-2001, 07:56 PM

Read the post.
Were talking about a D/A converter. THe type that would make the playback of cd's sound better from within your MAC.
It makes perfect sense.
IF you have the Digi 001 you can go throught that via sound manager, but those are not the best converters either.
I go through my RME PST and it sounds better than the G4's converters,
Old 12-19-2001, 10:20 PM

Thanks, Chompers, 'zactly. . .
Old 12-19-2001, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post. Thought you were trying to record to CD-R.

My mistake

6am eternal
Old 12-20-2001, 12:03 AM

Do a digital transfer into protools using Import From Other Movie then use the 001 interface to audition or some external D/A of your choice via SPDIF or optical.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:11 AM

try Quicktime Pro....