Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 AM

Default MIDI out...

Hi,
This is a general question regarding the use of PT MIDI with (non-virtual) keyboard synthesizers. I have Nord Wave and would like to use it in a similar way to using the PT's native Xpand2 or Structure...I'm not interested in playing the Wave synthesizer and recording MIDI data/audio, but instead writing MIDI data in PT's MIDI editor (with the pencil tool) and then get the sounds from the Wave (as well as sending pitch bend and sustain values)

I've never done something like that before but I have a feeling it's possible

(1) What would be the configuration? Do I need both IN and OUT cable, or just OUT from Pro tools to In in Wave?
(2) How do I actually record the sound from the Wave? Do I need audio cables from the Wave to Pro tools as well? I mean, MIDI cables do not carry audio signals, right? I guess I'm not sure how does MIDI exactly work in this case.

Thanks a lot!
ysound
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 AM

Default Re: MIDI out...

OK...MIDI out from audio interface to MIDI in Synth. then audio cable from synth back to audio interface...
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysound View Post
OK...MIDI out from audio interface to MIDI in Synth. then audio cable from synth back to audio interface...
Almost. Actually, my Audio Interface doesn´t have a MIDI out, if yours does, it´s probably an audio and a MIDI Interface. However Midi out from the Midi Interface to the synth is just fine and audio out of the Synths Audio output into the input of the Audio Interface. Then create an instrument track on which you can control both midi and audio of your synth.

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Hi mhmh,
thanks!
Now I'm trying to understand how many tracks can I use to control my synth using MIDI. I mean, MIDI has 16 channels, right? So is it possible to get 16 different sounds from my synth? (i.e. 16 instrument tracks- each configure to a different channel - and 16 audio channel...no, 1 stereo audio channel for them all???
Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysound View Post
Hi mhmh,
thanks!
Now I'm trying to understand how many tracks can I use to control my synth using MIDI. I mean, MIDI has 16 channels, right? So is it possible to get 16 different sounds from my synth? (i.e. 16 instrument tracks- each configure to a different channel - and 16 audio channel...no, 1 stereo audio channel for them all???
Depending on your synth, it can be possible. If your synth works in multi mode ( I think that's what it was called) you can control up to 16 channels from as many Instrument tracks, and if your synth has enough separate audio outputs the same goes for them.

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 AM

OK, thanks!