Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-02-2021, 01:47 AM

Default PT Ultimate 2021.3.1 hanging on one paricular session

I'm tearing my hair out over this one and hoping for some ideas I haven't tried.

90% of my work these days is spoken word, and my Pro Tools is rock solid. When I'm tracking multi-day recordings or doing large editing sessions I tend to leave the session open overnight so sometimes it'll be open for three days at a time (saved regularly of course).

But I'm currently working on a small music session which keeps freezing Pro Tools, needing a force-quit. It will do this while I'm working, or by itself if I leave the thing alone i.e. it has frozen up when I come back to the machine. Generally it 'lasts' between 30 minutes and a couple of hours before it freezes up.

Because Pro Tools is so stable the rest of the time I don't believe there's a problem with the computer, the PT installation or the installed plugins. However, I've double-checked that plugins are up to date, and triple checked and re-installed those being used in the rogue session.

There are 3 VIs running. I've tried freezing those tracks and re-launching without effect. I've tried every buffer size option, and I've tried swapping out plugins for alternatives (one compressor for another, etc.). I have also done Save Copy In... twice now, copying everything including the audio files to a new folder.

It's driving me mad and I've got a vocalist coming in on Tuesday to do the lead vocal. The session is obviously bigger than my spoken word ones, and has MIDI in it, but it's still very small by the standards of some stuff I've done on this machine and the System Usage window shows little activity (and the 'Total' bar showing about 24%).
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 05-02-2021, 05:01 AM

Default Re: PT Ultimate 2021.3.1 hanging on one paricular session

First thing I'd do is start a brand new session and import the session data into the new session. I've had issues in the past where I feel a session has some inbuilt issue and this has resolved it.

Worth a go if you haven't tried it :)
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancychris View Post
First thing I'd do is start a brand new session and import the session data into the new session. I've had issues in the past where I feel a session has some inbuilt issue and this has resolved it.

Worth a go if you haven't tried it :)
Absolutely - and thanks for suggesting it. However, I thought that "Save Copy In..." does that?
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 05-02-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Absolutely - and thanks for suggesting it. However, I thought that "Save Copy In..." does that?
Except if there is something corrupted in the file it may save that also.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Except if there is something corrupted in the file it may save that also.
OK, I see... So I've now created a blank session and done "import session data", copying everything. I'm pleased (and a bit surprised) that everything's there.

So far, this new session has been up for 30 minutes and hasn't frozen yet. If it lasts the day I'll consider it fixed and get on with editing it.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:49 AM

Hey Justin. How'd it go? Still up and running?

Hope your well btw. Haven't spoken to you in forever!

-Chris
Old 05-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancychris View Post
Hey Justin. How'd it go? Still up and running?

Hope your well btw. Haven't spoken to you in forever!

-Chris
Hi Chris, I did import everything into a blank new session and it seemed to be a lot more stable - insofar as it stopped freezing all by itself. But something was still wrong because it would sit at around 25% on System Usage and then hit the endstop and fall over whenever it passed a tempo marker. So, to make sure I had a stable session with the vocalist today I printed each track separately and built a temp session out of that.

But weirdly, now I've gone back to the main session and imported the vocal parts into it, the session is holding up fine. So I'm not sure if I'll ever know what the problem was.

And I'm well, thanks! One day leads to another I always say...