Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Problems with NI Battery 4.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Anything I can do to help.
Give me a couple of days to try out creating the Battery tracks at different times. Something I would like to nail down; this may already have been mentioned but I just want to make sure - are you using Battery on Instrument tracks or Aux tracks? And the routing from those Battery hosting tracks - Aux or Audio tracks? I'm asking so I can try different combinations of things. And how are you creating the tracks Battery is on - by way of the new tracks pull down menu or shortcut? Things should work the same but you never know.

Hopefully my power and internet will hold out here. I'm in New Jersey in the US and we've had more than our fair share of snow and we may be getting more from two more storms.
Great! I'm using Instrument tracks only for Battery, no aux-tracks, no audio-tracks. I'm usually creating the Battery-tracks with a track preset that I made (like Kenny Gioia shows in Tips&Tricks).

Much appreciated, good luck with the weather, cheers, Martin.

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Update:
Am I ever thankful ups's on all my equipment with this nasty weather.

Went through another try adding Instrument tracks a couple at a time. First 2 Instrument tracks with Battery 4 on each. Routed 4 cells in each kit to PT Aux tracks. Saved session and closed it. Re-opened session - all assignments were as they were when I set things up. Closed the session, quit PT, restarted PT then re-opened the session. All assignments as I set them.

Repeated this with 2 more Instrument tracks (and PT aux tracks and cell assignments in Battery 4 to the auxs) and everything okay. Next I added 6 Instrument tracks at one shot (again with the PT aux tracks and cell assignments in Battery 4 to the auxs). No problem. All assignments okay, each cell played through the aux it was assigned to. Each Battery instance had a different kit; some acoustic kits from Battery 3 and some electronic kits from Battery 4.

All track creation was done through new track shortcuts. I don't use Kenny's specific method but one from Russ Hughes.

QAPLA!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Update:
Am I ever thankful ups's on all my equipment with this nasty weather.

Went through another try adding Instrument tracks a couple at a time. First 2 Instrument tracks with Battery 4 on each. Routed 4 cells in each kit to PT Aux tracks. Saved session and closed it. Re-opened session - all assignments were as they were when I set things up. Closed the session, quit PT, restarted PT then re-opened the session. All assignments as I set them.

Repeated this with 2 more Instrument tracks (and PT aux tracks and cell assignments in Battery 4 to the auxs) and everything okay. Next I added 6 Instrument tracks at one shot (again with the PT aux tracks and cell assignments in Battery 4 to the auxs). No problem. All assignments okay, each cell played through the aux it was assigned to. Each Battery instance had a different kit; some acoustic kits from Battery 3 and some electronic kits from Battery 4.

All track creation was done through new track shortcuts. I don't use Kenny's specific method but one from Russ Hughes.
That's really interesting. By the way, I think Ross' method is about the same as Kenny's.
But one thing: Have you numbered the tracks with the Battery instance and imported one with a lower number than the ones that are already in the session?
Because I think that's where the inputs get mixed up in my sessions.

Best regards, Martin

www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmh View Post
That's really interesting. By the way, I think Ross' method is about the same as Kenny's.
But one thing: Have you numbered the tracks with the Battery instance and imported one with a lower number than the ones that are already in the session?
Because I think that's where the inputs get mixed up in my sessions.

Best regards, Martin
If I understand you correctly:
Say I have 10 instances of Battery 4 on Instrument tracks you want me to delete a couple of the early ones and then import similar numbered ones from another session? I tried that and that's where things are going wrong with the assignments. I didn't specifically number the Instrument track instances as PT automatically did that for me when I created the Instruments. I'm not talking about the track numbers but the track label.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
If I understand you correctly:
Say I have 10 instances of Battery 4 on Instrument tracks you want me to delete a couple of the early ones and then import similar numbered ones from another session? I tried that and that's where things are going wrong with the assignments. I didn't specifically number the Instrument track instances as PT automatically did that for me when I created the Instruments. I'm not talking about the track numbers but the track label.
Yes, track label is what I meant. I didn't actually want you to delete the earlier ones, just import ones with a lower number (in the track label) than the ones that are already in the session. But I guess the effect is the same as how you did it, since you managed to get the assignments mixed up.

Cheers, Martin

www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, track label is what I meant. I didn't actually want you to delete the earlier ones, just import ones with a lower number (in the track label) than the ones that are already in the session. But I guess the effect is the same as how you did it, since you managed to get the assignments mixed up.

Cheers, Martin
The thing is with the automatic default numbering I would have to delete early ones. I did try one more thing and that was to delete the last few instances of Battery 4 Instrument tracks and import from another session the same track label number and the assignments were wrong. What I think we've found is that it's the actual import from another session that is messing up and not so much what instance is being imported.

edit for additional:
I just thought of this after I hit 'post reply'. I do my drum tracks in BFD2 and PT10. I also break out each drum and cymbals in BFD2 to individual outputs and PT audio tracks. I also have a bus that brings together all the individual audio tracks in PT to an aux track. When I import this into PT11 the assignments for the audio tracks to the drum bus are greyed out and have to be re-done. Import bug?

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 02-06-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: additional info on BFD2 and PT10
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Import bug?
I guess so. But I´d really rather just redo them than untangle the mixed up assignments. And what I haven't even mentioned yet is that when I´m untangling the inputs, some of them won't work, the input of the channel will just not accept the input I´m selecting (the one that was there before) and I have to use a different one, preferably a much higher number like 17/18 instead of 3/4 and reroute the cell in Battery.

www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I guess so. But I´d really rather just redo them than untangle the mixed up assignments. And what I haven't even mentioned yet is that when I´m untangling the inputs, some of them won't work, the input of the channel will just not accept the input I´m selecting (the one that was there before) and I have to use a different one, preferably a much higher number like 17/18 instead of 3/4 and reroute the cell in Battery.
Found the same thing here. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post but I've got a lot of not so good things going on here that aren't music related (building issues) and my mind has been elsewheres.

QAPLA!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Found the same thing here. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post but I've got a lot of not so good things going on here that aren't music related (building issues) and my mind has been elsewheres.
Good to know this funny behaviour of Battery can be reproduced.
Have a great weekend, Martin

www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de