Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 06-20-2022, 04:29 PM

Default AAX DSP IR Cab Loader?

Hello? Not an owner(yet) just curious if there are IR cab loaders available for tracking with the Carbon/PT Ultimate combo. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2022, 02:18 AM

Default Re: AAX DSP IR Cab Loader?

bx_rockrack v3 from PlugIn Alliance, which is included in the Carbon bundle - (or at least it was when I bought my Carbon) - includes 40 IRs. You cannot unfortunately load your own.

Dominic
Old 07-25-2022, 01:47 AM

I've been using AVID Space to load cab impulses
Old 07-25-2022, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
I've been using AVID Space to load cab impulses
Avid Space doesn't work on Carbon, at least not as a DSP plug.

Dominic
Old 07-25-2022, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Avid Space doesn't work on Carbon, at least not as a DSP plug.
what a shame, I assumed all AAX-DSP would work with Carbon, this is not the case though as you pointed out!
Old 10-10-2022, 12:15 PM

It is easy:

The question at least for "Carbon" is:

Is it possible to load IRs in the given latency from AVID (0,7ms) to take advantage of the DSP Processing in that crucial in-the-box guitar recording respect with live feel when recording and auditioning through software?

Does PT Carbon at all allow third party IR Loader with that announced latency or are there any dangers to know about (i.e.:
a) > 0,7ms,
b) compatibility issues,
c) any reported get no´s in deeper detail yet etc.)
??

What are your experienced monitoring latency measurements so far, if you use pt carbon´s internal chances for digital in-the-box guitar recording offerings?

I certainly would expect that AVID supports third party AAX DSP accelerated IRs with own import of your IRs as far as virtual instruments live recording with 0,7ms monitoring latency.

What does the ambitious latency info on the AVID site mean otherwise, if it´s not a overall value for a monitoring latency?

THX
T.

Last edited by timsen; 10-10-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:39 AM

well, if it's possible with AVID's Space on HDX then why shouldn't it be possible on Carbon, which uses the same DSP technology (only less chips). I've done it on HDX and it works fine. It is still unclear to my why certain AAX-DSP plugins like Space are not supported on Carbon.

Imho a big limitation of the Hybrid Engine is the fact that you cannot mix DSP and non-DSP plugins. I have gotten so used to tracking DI guitars with STL's Tonehub which is only AAX-native with a AAX-DSP Trim plugin before it (latency is no issue at all) and miss that workflow in Carbon-land...

EDIT: I've only just now realised that you can take record-enabled tracks out of DSP mode... funny thing is though that the latency with Carbon is much higher as opposed to HDX with Trim and a native AAX plugin with both systems at the same buffersize (256 samples). The reported latency is worse btw on HDX but in reality is much lower.

In regards to mixing DSP and native plugins on the same track - it is possible, but only possible by loading the DSP plugins with the trusty old ICON D-Command. You still can't track through native plugins when in DSP mode, but you can take the load off of your CPU when mixing by instantiating available plugins on the Carbon DSP chips.
I suspect this is not intended by AVID but works nevertheless.

Last edited by martthie_08; 10-11-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-15-2022, 04:32 PM

Yeah,

Is it like they managed in the box guitar recording somehow with cab simulation in 0.7 (monitoring latency) at least? Some AAX involved from any ! company. No problem accepting any AAX SIM, if necessary!!!

I' m confused with the announcements the more I hear in this regard
(0.7 in any case ) on carbon. Slight shiver here

... Or is 0.7 say - negotiable��?

Thx best regards

The diver
Old 10-16-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsen View Post
It is easy:

The question at least for "Carbon" is:

Is it possible to load IRs in the given latency from AVID (0,7ms) to take advantage of the DSP Processing in that crucial in-the-box guitar recording respect with live feel when recording and auditioning through software?

Does PT Carbon at all allow third party IR Loader with that announced latency or are there any dangers to know about (i.e.:
a) > 0,7ms,
b) compatibility issues,
c) any reported get no´s in deeper detail yet etc.)
??

What are your experienced monitoring latency measurements so far, if you use pt carbon´s internal chances for digital in-the-box guitar recording offerings?

I certainly would expect that AVID supports third party AAX DSP accelerated IRs with own import of your IRs as far as virtual instruments live recording with 0,7ms monitoring latency.

What does the ambitious latency info on the AVID site mean otherwise, if it´s not a overall value for a monitoring latency?

THX
T.
No idea where the figure of 0.7ms latency comes from, but Avid's own testing shows bx_rockrack on Carbon giving 1.21ms latency at 96KHz, when using AAX-DSP.

Dominic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Carbon Latency DSP Mode.jpeg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
well, if it's possible with AVID's Space on HDX then why shouldn't it be possible on Carbon, which uses the same DSP technology (only less chips). I've done it on HDX and it works fine. It is still unclear to my why certain AAX-DSP plugins like Space are not supported on Carbon.

Imho a big limitation of the Hybrid Engine is the fact that you cannot mix DSP and non-DSP plugins. I have gotten so used to tracking DI guitars with STL's Tonehub which is only AAX-native with a AAX-DSP Trim plugin before it (latency is no issue at all) and miss that workflow in Carbon-land...

EDIT: I've only just now realised that you can take record-enabled tracks out of DSP mode... funny thing is though that the latency with Carbon is much higher as opposed to HDX with Trim and a native AAX plugin with both systems at the same buffersize (256 samples). The reported latency is worse btw on HDX but in reality is much lower.

In regards to mixing DSP and native plugins on the same track - it is possible, but only possible by loading the DSP plugins with the trusty old ICON D-Command. You still can't track through native plugins when in DSP mode, but you can take the load off of your CPU when mixing by instantiating available plugins on the Carbon DSP chips.
I suspect this is not intended by AVID but works nevertheless.
You understand that if you were to mix DSP and non-DSP plugs on a channel, then the signal would have to be processed by both the Carbon and the computer and passing the data backwards and forwards across a 1Gb Ethernet link would introduce even more latency?
Remember that USB 3.0, introduced in 2008 is 5Gb/s - five times faster than the Ethernet ports on the Carbon. The delay between the Carbon and the computer is the limiting factor. If you want low latency between guitar/mic/line input and headphone/monitor output, then it HAS to be done inside Carbon.

My suspicion is that they failed to put enough memory in the Carbon to run Space as a DSP plugin, but that is purely conjecture. Either way, and as expected, Avid's ambitions have not materialised. They have not given us Carbon monitor control from PT (although we did get pre-amp control). They have not given us a control panel or firmware updating tool which can be run outside of PT. They have not fixed Space to run on Carbon DSP. They have not found a way to make Carbon run on Windows (although I don't think they ever implied that they would do this). No sign of Surround monitoring either, or any use for the second Ethernet port. No HEAT in DSP mode. Most importantly they have not fixed the delay compensation bug(s).

Carbon is what it is. Don't expect anything which it doesn't already do.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 10-17-2022 at 07:21 AM.