How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2022, 05:03 AM

Default MBOX Studio problem: crackling noises

I have my Avid Mbox Studio now for four days. And it's a great piece of gear. I use it for Pro Tools, but also use it for my computer audio.
But there is one thing I really hate about it.

When booting up my computer it produces a burst of 7 or 8 short crackling sounds out of the speakers, - sounds like inserting a jack cable. I always turn on my peripherals first (speakers last) and then my mac.

It can be expected that there could be some noise if the speakers are already on and then you turn on the MBOX, but this is way to much. I can compare this to my UAx4 and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, which both do NOT give any crackling sound what so ever when connecting or booting up with the speakers already on, or any of the other ways listed below.

Listen here

It happens:
- when turning MBOX on, while speakers are already on
- when system is up and running, and I have to reboot my computer. the moment my mac connects to the Mbox Studio, you get the bursts.
- when I launch Pro Tools after computer is booted up
- selecting the MBOX Studio in the Playback Engine settings, when other hardware was selected while booting Pro Tools
- when I log in and out of my user
- when changing audio device in macOS system audio preferences (going away or towards the MBOX)
- when opening Apple Music or any other audio software that connects to the MBOX.

System
Macbook Pro M1Max - 64 Gb memory
macOS 12.5.1
Pro Tools version 2022.10
Latest firmware of the MBOX Studio
MBOX Control app version 1.0.0

Last edited by Novae Studios; 12-03-2022 at 02:37 AM.