Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2000, 11:29 AM

Default Problems with Yamaha 6416 burner

I was initially happy with my internal unit until I discovered a strange problem when it was past warranty. It has a tendency to skip track indices. I would be skipping around a CD that I have burned with it in a standard player, and would notice that some tracks can't be seeked to directly. The only way to get to them would be to fast forward/rewind to that point revealing that the problematic track is always a Negative track. Apparently the burner is missing the cues for track start ID's. Interstingly, the audio discs seem to play fine on a standard CD-ROM reader. The problem has occurred when making my own CD's with CD Architect and when directly copying commercial CD's for backup with a variety of software (Easy CD Creator, Nero, WinCDR).

I have been able to overcome this problem by putting two seconds between the end and start ID's of adjacent tracks. However last night I discovered that the problem which seemed to occur on intermittent tracks when having no space between track ID's had a pattern. Using CD Architect, I found that the problematic tracks occurred where the end ID of one track immediately preceeded the start ID of the next track on ADJACENT frames. If the end and start ID's occur on the same frame, there is apparently no problem. Seems a little ironic, don't you think? I have not tried testing to see what happens putting spaces between start and end ID's at varying times other than on the same frame, adjacent frames, or two seconds apart. I have updaded my firmware to 1.0c and the latest update for CD Architect supports the 6416. I have a Windowsbased system and an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card. Anyone else have anything to offer?
Old 04-17-2000, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Problems with Yamaha 6416 burner

I have used several different burners on sevral different PC's with lotsa different software. They all had some kind of f*cked up problem (even cd architect) even the manufacturers of all of the above could not pinpoint the specific problems. I gave up, and started using the mac's for ALL of my burns, no problems at all!

Basically I would blame the IBM(compatible)
It's most likely not your burner, it probably has to do with conflicting .dll files in your system folder and there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 04-17-2000, 02:04 PM

Actually I doubt it an OS system file related problem because I have tried it on Win95, NT 4.0, and 2000 with all the same results.

Have any other suggestions?
Old 04-17-2000, 03:06 PM

If you are positive it is not OS related, then I would lean toward proccessor problems, how large is your RAM cache?

Also, I assume the file you are trying to burn is on an external (audio only drive)? If so copy the file directly to your desktop and try burning from there.

And...if you are using CD architecht, make sure you save the .cda (or whatever they are called) in the same location you save the audio in!

I hope you get this worked out! I have the same burner and the same problems, and still haven't got it to work right 100% of the time. All of the above helped me in different situations. It could possibly be your burner, but from my experience it is most likley not a hardware problem. I just quit using mine alltogether, do it all on the mac now. If you have any success PLEASE post it.

Good Luck