Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Control the Eleven Rack from an iPad/Android Tablet - Video

Howdy, so I've made a video where I am controlling the Eleven Rack from a Kindle Fire (android tablet). You can see the 11R on-screen editor on your tablet device and make changes just as you would using a mouse from your desktop/laptop.

Sadly, this is not a standalone Eleven Rack editor, but an app that lets you control and see your desktop/laptop from your tablet. Even though a standalone application would be best, this is still pretty cool.

The app is called Splashtop, and is compatible with iOS and Android.

If this piques your interest, check out the video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ml0LHRLGI

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Control the Eleven Rack from an iPad/Android Tablet - Video

This is exactly what the Chimp was hinting and asking opinions on a few weeks back, with regard to an iPad/11R standalone editor.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
This is exactly what the Chimp was hinting and asking opinions on a few weeks back, with regard to an iPad/11R standalone editor.
I don't think it was theChimp asking that question but someone else by the name of "Max" - just of the top of my head.

I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the title of Benoni's vid pop up in my 'Subscription Box' - I was thinking he has cracked a way to control the 11R without having to load ProTools . Unfortunately, no, but maybe someone at Avid will sit up and take notice. Still really cool though .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 AM

You're cheating!

Seriously though, this is a very practical way to remotely control your 11r. I don't see any real benefit for Avid to come up with drivers to directly connect 11r to mobile/tab devices, and write the programming for an editor. Using screen sharing in this manner makes way more sense to me. Sure, you can't save/manipulate directly to/from the tab but how important is that really? Not very, to me.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Sweet!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
You're cheating!

Seriously though, this is a very practical way to remotely control your 11r.
Yeah, its pretty cool. Not as great as a standalone app "could" be, but completely usable.

On the plus side, by using a screen sharing app instead of a standalone app, you are not limited to controlling just the 11R. You can also make adjustments to Pro Tools, and plugins, and anything else on your computer - all within one app.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM

i have used vcontrol for this for awhile now. if you have an ipad you should check it out. i use it to mix headphone sends in the tracking room, kit piece mapping on bfd 2 when i am at the kit, can track acoustic guitars in my tracking room on my own and have complete control, can easily do anything w eleven rack. the pro tools integration is top notch, and a lot nicer than just a screen copy of your monitors.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i have used vcontrol for this for awhile now. if you have an ipad you should check it out. i use it to mix headphone sends in the tracking room, kit piece mapping on bfd 2 when i am at the kit, can track acoustic guitars in my tracking room on my own and have complete control, can easily do anything w eleven rack. the pro tools integration is top notch, and a lot nicer than just a screen copy of your monitors.
vControl looks cool, but unless they make it for Android I won't be getting it. I have a distaste for everything Apple.

I also use TouchDAW which is pretty cool as well.

but having a complete reproduction of your PC on your tablet is really nice, you can even access your complete PC from anywhere in the world with Splashtop. So you could launch Pro Tools, and control your 11R from 5000 miles away.

Another thing thats pretty cool is you can route the sound from your PC to your tablet, so you can say play a video on your computer and be able to not only watch it, but hear it on your tablet.

Splashtop is great for lazy people, you can lay in bed all day and still control your desktop, which makes it great for doing boring tasks, especially when there are long wait periods in between the computer needing human input. No need to get up and check on your computer, just look at your tablet

I've done stuff with BFD2 and Splashtop as well. Stuff like setup basic kits, program some grooves ect...

But I'll checkout vControl if they decide to port it to Android or the new Windows tablets.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
vControl looks cool, but unless they make it for Android I won't be getting it. I have a distaste for everything Apple.

I also use TouchDAW which is pretty cool as well.

but having a complete reproduction of your PC on your tablet is really nice, you can even access your complete PC from anywhere in the world with Splashtop. So you could launch Pro Tools, and control your 11R from 5000 miles away.

Another thing thats pretty cool is you can route the sound from your PC to your tablet, so you can say play a video on your computer and be able to not only watch it, but hear it on your tablet.

Splashtop is great for lazy people, you can lay in bed all day and still control your desktop, which makes it great for doing boring tasks, especially when there are long wait periods in between the computer needing human input. No need to get up and check on your computer, just look at your tablet

I've done stuff with BFD2 and Splashtop as well. Stuff like setup basic kits, program some grooves ect...

But I'll checkout vControl if they decide to port it to Android or the new Windows tablets.
i use team viewer for p.c. control. i can use my ipod, ipad, laptop, work computer or whatever to access my spare p.c. at home or whatever combo.

my daw is completely offline. i have a router hooked up to it with a local network that nothing but my ipad has access to that i use for vcontrol. i can access anything on my daw and control it just like you can w touchdaw or teamviewer, but then it can be just a complete control surface for PT. i am not sure why they have not ported it over to any other os besides ios. i have used both mac and p.c.'s for years since mac os 9 and windows 2000. pro tools SUCKED back then on windows, running tdm systems on macs and p.c.'s for the office, internet stuff. i have loves and hates with both of em!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10