Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-20-2001, 06:47 PM

Default More than one scsi card ?

hi - has anyone used more than one scsi card in a G4?

What I want to do is use my ATTO dual channel for pro tools drives only (2 busses) and install a 2nd scsi card (possibly adaptec 2930, because I have an extra one) for a slower scsi bus, for a CD-R - for MLCD.

I do not want to put my scsi-2 cd-r on the ultrawide bus, as that will slow the entire bus down.

has anyone done this?

thanks,

jr
Old 08-21-2001, 07:49 AM

Default Re: More than one scsi card ?

Hey jr… I'm running a second SCSI card (ATTO #EPCI-PSC-000, single channel wide) for my narrow bus CD burner & DDS3 drive using a 68~50 pin step-down terminator in a G4/400. After 8 months of very heavy use, no problems. Don't know about the Adaptec…

I'd heard about it from a dealer who sells PT & Avid systems… said they did it on their demo system… Be aware, we're definitely off Digi's specs here… DigiTest will holler at you when it sees this configuration.

I can't remember slot #'s, but the expansion chassis host card is next to the video card, then the single channel (N) SCSI card, then the dual channel (UW) SCSI card. Hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 08-22-2001, 10:30 AM

Hey jr

I did the same thing for the same reason, and so far it's working fine. I put an Adaptec 2906 in the last slot of the G4 for Jaz and Cd burner. At the very least, the CD burns have gotten more reliable. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:03 AM

Thanks to all for comments...

I installed the Adaptec 2930U in slot 4, and everything works as before, HOWEVER...

ATTO EPT crashes if i try to launch it.

I then swapped the card order:

slot 1 - agp video
slot 2 - pci bridge
slot 3 empty
slot 4 - ATTO dual
slot 5 - adaptec 2930

Same thing. - atto EPT hangs at device scan. Everything works though... At least with this setup, Scsi Probe 5.2 works...

I guess the tradeoff right now is to pull the adaptec card if i need to format a new drive. Minor inconvenience that I'll live with in order to have this flexibility.

Thanks to all who helped.

jr
Old 08-23-2001, 11:23 AM

I have the dual ultra-wide SCSI card in a Blue G3 and have a 9 GB and 18 GB Glyph drive connected to each. I use an adapter after the last drive on one chain to go to my CD-R. I have not noticed any problems. The CD-R is several years old, but does not seem to tax the SCSI chain at all.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:52 AM

We also use the Adaptec 2906 for our legacy SCSI devices (CDR, DDS3, Zip, Jaz, and Syquest). In both systems it is in the last slot, next to the video. I went with it because of SCSI problems that I have described in older posts.
We use HDT 4.5 for all formatting. Perhaps there is some driver ATTO needs to work with the card. . .
Old 08-27-2001, 09:13 AM

Hey jr - I wonder if the Adaptec needs a firmware upgrade to appease the ATTO EPT gods?! Could be an issue if the 2930's been around for a while…

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 08-27-2001, 03:48 PM

Why use two cards? Just put the slow devices at the end of the chain with an adapter and they will not affect the faster ones (unless you use them at the same time, but I don't see people often burning CDs while running sessions, etc).
Old 08-27-2001, 09:45 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by snoopy:
Why use two cards? Just put the slow devices at the end of the chain with an adapter and they will not affect the faster ones (unless you use them at the same time, but I don't see people often burning CDs while running sessions, etc). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have some slow scsi devices (jaz, zip, hard drives, etc...) that need to be available.

AND - buring to a scsi cdr using MLCD accesses the ultrawides.

The 2nd scsi card (adaptec 2930) works great and has been very reliable (although the ATTO EPT still crashes at device scan).

I spoke with a tech @ ATTO today - could it be that there is a difference between the adaptec 2930U and the 2930CU - the CU was pulled from a recent G4 (from 6 months ago) from an apple BTO - hmm... ATTO is going to take a look at this.

jr
Old 08-28-2001, 12:17 AM

"AND - buring to a scsi cdr using MLCD accesses the ultrawides. "

But it would still be plenty fast enough. I do this all the time. I have a SCSI CDR and a SCSI DVD-RAM on the same chain as my hotswap 15k Drives. So long as I am not accessing them while recording or anything like that. Just something to keep in mind if you cant get two cards working. I would be worried more about 2 cards causing trouble with PCI buss issues, lord knows people have enough trouble with just one *giggle* (in conjunctyion with PT).