Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Going HD Native for Post

Hopefully the coding is easy to just port over to the aax format, otherwise why would plug manufacturers bother? Most people are going to be using native, and so that's where the money will be. Avid can paint themselves into a corner by making it hard to make parts for the Cadillac, so to speak. If it's a bear to port, or an entire re-write is necessary, get ready for basically all the aax plugs to be coming from Avid themselves.

I don't know how it works, of course, so I could easily be off-base by even posing that hypothetical. I can say that I'm still glad I went all RME hardware given everything I've seen recently.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

One question I have for you guys running native for post, how do you get away with using RTAS plugs on mix busses and masters and not end up with major sync issues with picture?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM

I can answer this, as I've been running a dual-system since PT9 came out. I have an HD2 system with 192 i/o, and an RME fireface 400 on the same machine.

I've done a bunch of mixes native-only on the RME and it works great. It's super convenient and flexible, and amply powered. At the moment, I'm running a 160-track surround mix on native. I do this partly for my own interest, and partly for convenience of using the IO box I choose.

there are two answers:

1) RTAS plug-ins operate at a lower latency on a native-only system. This is technically because they don't have to stream out of the DSP mixer, into host processing, and back into the DSP mixer. Those two steps each incur one buffer's worth of latency.

2) ADC

-jeremiah
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmoore View Post
I can answer this, as I've been running a dual-system since PT9 came out. I have an HD2 system with 192 i/o, and an RME fireface 400 on the same machine.

I've done a bunch of mixes native-only on the RME and it works great. It's super convenient and flexible, and amply powered. At the moment, I'm running a 160-track surround mix on native. I do this partly for my own interest, and partly for convenience of using the IO box I choose.

there are two answers:

1) RTAS plug-ins operate at a lower latency on a native-only system. This is technically because they don't have to stream out of the DSP mixer, into host processing, and back into the DSP mixer. Those two steps each incur one buffer's worth of latency.

2) ADC

-jeremiah
Interesting.

So are the sample delays of RTAS in native more similar in number to TDM numbers on HD systems?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Folks with HD Native cards here that I have spoken to and quesitoned about buffer sizes(=roundtrip latency) have all had nothing but praise to share.

Then again for ADR you can configure this kind of setup with most good interfaces these days, not just Avid stuff. It just isn't as convenient as in Protools HD controlling HD/HDX DSP cards when you have to setup up mixer snapshots on the interface mixing applications(like RMEs Totalmix which is completely MCU-midi controllable).

That so-called zero-latency monitoring latency then depends soley on the time the converters need for AD/DA, which is very low for the Avid HD interfaces.

And with HD Native you can take advantage of that and just slap a compressor and mixer EQ on in the direct-monitored talent HP feed. Also depends on the mixer who has to work with the results (likes to do everything themselves like me, or likes non-mic pre-processed ADR) and whether that person expects chains to be present or not.

If you can work without your plugin-monitor treatment, HD Native is for you, and with a spot more setup work, so it is with non-Avid HD interfaces.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Totalmix rocks. The RME code is all solid. MUCH better than Avid in terms of reliability. Having the capability to route, in surround if desired, the outputs of any other program into PT with that foundational layer of control is awesome. I can create stem submixes for re-recording without using buses, and tons of other stuff. I have literally had zero issues that could be traced to my RME stuff. That was not the case when I had my Digi boxes. That said, I'm one of those people who doesn't need to monitor through a chain of plugs while recording, and if I were the HDX system would be far more attractive.

I just couldn't justify laying out all that cash for what really boils down to one additional capability. It's worth it in some scenarios, like ADR stages or perhaps even a foley room (maaaaybe), but for normal post editors / designers like me Native just plain works.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been working on an HD4 and 2 HD3's for so long that have been rock solid, it gets a little tough to figure out how some of the newer setups are working. This makes it much more clear.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all info. I think i'm going to try the native way for a while. Just wait for the new macs now. For the moment i think to make a "crossgrade" from HD2 to HD native+omni (if someone know a good trade in Europe or France..)
I have now questions about boxes. Some of you talked about RME, maybe it's for another thread but, how is your setup with that kind of boxes ?
Is there any fan problems with omni ? That box seems to better be placed in the control room.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Keep in mind that the trade in programs for HD Native are different from the trade ins to HDX.

There is no trade in for a bundle of both the HD Native card and Omni, like there is for HDX.

With HD Native, you trade in only your Core card for the HD Native card (which will then get you a free upgrade to HD 10). You can then sell your other cards to someone else.

Separately, you can trade in any legacy interface, or even a 3rd party interface that worked with HD (like Lynx Aurora, etc.) and then you get $1000 off of any new HD interface, Omni, 8 x 8, or 16 x 16. If you have more than one interface, you can do it again, etc.

All this info is based on the info here in the U.S. But I think Avid generally runs the same specials in other countries.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the input.