Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-09-2021, 12:39 PM

Default Why extract Pro Tools First into Downloads Folder?

Hello All and thank you in advance for any insights you may have! Just hoping someone is able to explain why we are instructed to extract Pro Tools First into the Downloads Folder? You end up with files in your DL folder that shouldn't be there; clutter that slows down the computer because the DL folder was never intended for the permanent installation of programs. Can someone tell me where the actual program goes? Pro Tools Docs folder? Pro Tools folder in the Programs (x86) folder? The Pro Tools Programs (64) folder or in the (x86) or (64) Avid folders?
Old 07-09-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Why extract Pro Tools First into Downloads Folder?

I don't know who "instructed" you to extract to the downloads folder, you might have told us, but I'm pretty shure that the extraction refers to the decompressing of the downloaded compressed file, wich will result in a installer program that does all the installation of files and program for you.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:52 AM

As Ben said, you can feel free to extract the files anywhere you like. I usually extract to a new folder on the desktop(named for the exact version), run the installer and then move the folder off to a backup drive where I save all installers. Of course, you can feel free to delete after the install, but I choose to save most everything

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-10-2021, 09:57 AM

Thank you for those replies. That answers my question - the Installer will put things where they need to go. However, we are instructed to go to the Downloads Folder and extract the files. It doesn't say anything about moving the compressed folder first. Perhaps this is for simplicity's sake, but for those of us who know a bit about computers, it throws up a red flag.