Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

I have an 003R+ and it's worth just as much on the market today as it was yesterday, works just as good as it did yesterday, sounds just as good, looks just as good. As far as I can tell, the only thing that will lower it $ value will be time or an 004 and to be frank, if anyone is buying digital hardware of any kind and is expecting it to maintain its $ value then they need to get there head examined. I remember spending $5,000 for a 500 mb hard drive. Maybe I should ask for a refund.

The 003 is a great piece of hardware for the price and I'm glad I bought it. Avid has done nothing to lower its value.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM

its funny how people react to certain things, for the past few years Le users used to complaint about features not included on LE, delay compensation for example, when Avid finally decide to delivery this feature and many others, including hardware unlock, everybody starts to scream again because of price point, but my question is what did you expect? Avid to deliver this for free? Cmon Le, your dreams came forward to your reality, now you have all the HD features that you have been dreaming for years and you only have to pay a reasonable upgrade fee, which is not even worth discussion if you had to buy HD core and accell cards.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 PM

I bought a PT 8 LE upgrade a week ago ...
Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM

I think this is by far the best deal Digi has ever offered on an upgrade. $250 for all this:

"Untethered" software, 32 inputs, ADC, 96 tracks, more busses/auxes/instrument tracks, Digitranslator for OMF export, MP3 export, multi-track Beat Detective, AND the oft-complained-about missing time code ruler - and you guys b***h about it?

We've been asking for some of these features since the 001 days and PTLE 5.2. I say kudos (finally)!

The only time the value of hardware even enters into the equation is if and when you sell it. If it worked last week, it will work next week - no change in value. If it's worked so far, why would you want to sell it? You can always buy that Apogee now and use it as well as the Digi interface.

I still use my 002R with an RME A/D converter. Sounds pretty good yet (uh, the RME, not the 002R), but now I'm considering the whole PT9 HD Native upgrade - or at the very least, the PT9 upgrade. To me, it's a no-brainer.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair. This change in the way AVID are doing things regarding hardware/software means that those who have bought LE hardware at any point in the past are now having the value of their hardware product probably wiped out. Surely AVID should see this, and registered LE hardware owners a more reasonable crossgrade ($50 seems fair).
At this time, it makes sense to break away from the past policy of having to own Digidesign hardware to use PT. BUT, this is penalising those customers who bought these products, which served to establish Pro Tools as the industry standard.
<rant>
I'm tired, cranky, had to work, and didn't get to play with my daughters today -- so my reply is probably going to be nasty.

LE users who feel anything but elated about PT9 and the pricing should [redacted] (no don't, I have respect for farm animals, and I don't have much sympathy for you).

YOU (LE users) for very, very little coin, now can have software that for the most part is equal to my very very expensive HD rig. Yadda yadda, yeah I have TDM cards and a much, much better interfaces, and this is my business, and my rig will always sound better than yours because I know what I'm doing -- but still -- so even more so... your relatively minor investment in a LE rig, for the small price of a $250 upgrade, can use the same software and most of the features as my $15,000 (probably worth lots less today) TDM HD system.

And you are complaining?

I'm going back to work now.

</rant>

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 11-09-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Please keep it civil!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Sorry, but I don't think LE users should be complaining about the price for this. $250 is a great deal! I will happily pay the cost for this upgrade, it's totally worth the money for these features.

I think just about every complaint that has been posted in the last 2 years about LE's limitations has for the most part been answered with this update. Even if you pay the full $600 for buying PT9 outright, it's still a great deal compared to what you would have had to pay to get 32 i/o before.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumItAnalog View Post
I for one applaud Avid for doing so much in the short time of their ownership
Short time?
Digidesign was acquired by Avid in 1994.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Talking Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjembe mutombo View Post
I feel like the only people that complain about the $250 upgrade price tag are the people who pirate plug-ins, mix & record in untreated environments, and own KRKs. If you are truly an "audio engineer" then you should be throwing around $250 like it is chump change.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:07 PM

i'd pay $1000 for what I just got with PT 9 - and I would not bat an eye

come on - it happened - avid steped up to the plate BIG TIME

this 'thing' that happened should realy really really be embraced for what it is

WHAT IT IS

'the world's finest workflow,now flaunts features that everyone else has been offering for sometime'

I'm not being funny here (well not totally funny) I'm simply very excited that I do not require running away from PT...I can hug her again...and damn,,,she's a fun hug!!

agin avid (soul of digidesign)

Thank you ....so much...i love you

PS:
The time for positioning is over, it's no longer 'avid vs. the customer'

infact it's us with avid = protools

AGREE WITH ME: avid put out - and we all got wet with hapiness (cause every tune needs a tad of reverb ....with adc...right?) even if we need to complain...what we are complaining about has just got way smaller...whew
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
<rant>
I'm tired, cranky, had to work, and didn't get to play with my daughters today -- so my reply is probably going to be nasty.

LE users who feel anything but elated about PT9 and the pricing should go shove your head up the ass of a farm animal (no don't, I have respect for farm animals, and I don't have much sympathy for you).

YOU (LE users) for very, very little coin, now can have software that for the most part is equal to my very very expensive HD rig. Yadda yadda, yeah I have TDM cards and a much, much better interfaces, and this is my business, and my rig will always sound better than yours because I know what I'm doing -- but still -- so even more so... your relatively minor investment in a LE rig, for the small price of a $250 upgrade, can use the same software and most of the features as my $15,000 (probably worth lots less today) TDM HD system.

And you are complaining?

I'm going back to work now.

</rant>

PS -- read the rest of the thread -- and it just got worse. No need to edit this.
Amen.

I don't see why the original poster considers a grand a large quantity of money. A grand will get you no where in the audio production industry. Hell, I can't even go to some kids basement studio and have him record my album on his 003, dumpy monitors and mics and room for under a grand.

A grand will buy you a good condensor mic, or a good preamp, or a good set of monitors, or an alright treatment roomkit, or a couple native plug-ins, etc. This is an expensive hobby/career to be in.

Honestly, I can't even stand the people that charge money to record "clients" on LE rigs. It makes me sick. I don't even know if I could justify paying minimum wage to track in one of those "basement studios".