Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-17-2020, 07:00 AM

Default EQ plugin that can take 'snapshot'?

Hi all, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I want to record an Acoustic guitar on two tracks in mono - trk1: with a Mic and trk2: with the guitar plugged in (piezo pickup)

What I'd like to do, is match the piezo sound to the mic sound - thus showing me the exact eq settings I'd need to adjust in order to make the piezo sound as close as possible to the mic version. (which will help be in a live situation, to know the basic eq settings I need to closely replicate the natural sound of the acoustic).

Is there an EQ plugin that can take a 'snapshot' of the eq frequencies of trk1 and then apply them to trk2.

Obviously I can do this by ear, but I'd like to know if something exists that can analyze trk1, and save the 'frequency sound' (so to speak) and apply to another track? Would Fabfilter Pro-Q 3 'EQ Match' be able to do something like that?
https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/eqmatch

Do know how clear I've made that, but hopefully someone will understand!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Re: EQ plugin that can take 'snapshot'?

It's a pretty tough thing to do.....

The best I've come across is Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, now called Pro Audio DSP DSM v3 (it's a bit of a mouthful..!)
Distributed by Plugin Alliance.

It's a plugin by Paul Frindle, previously of Sonnox. You could best describe it as an unlimited band compressor, which learns an EQ curve. They probably describe it better, but that's essentially what it does... Learns the shape of the sound and applies it to another.

I used it to fix a vocal I was sent, where half the track had been recorded with the mic pointing the wrong way round.... I honestly didn't think it was fixable with that level of comb filtering, but DSM did a great job.

They probably have a demo so you could check it out.

Whether that actually gives you the final sound you're looking for is another thing of course... There are obviously more factors in play than simple behaviour at each given frequency... But try DSM and see if it vaguely gets you to what you're after.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 AM

The feature you are wanting is called "Match EQ". Pro Q 3 by Fabfilter can do this. I know there are others too.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 AM

There's a handful out there; personally I use FabFilter ProQ3's eq match function - fabulous all around eq too. Izotope Ozone also has a match feature as do others.

That said, matching a DI to a mic is a lot more than just EQ - UAD Woodworks does this in a plugin, though I don't think it allows custom IRs. In hardware, Fishman's Aura system does a good job of this, though making custom IRs is difficult. Tonedexter will do this and allow you to create your own IRs with your instrument/DI/mic combo.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-17-2020, 09:29 AM

Let’s address the source problem. The reason you’re even thinking about doing this is because acoustic piezo signals are garbage. To date, I still haven’t heard one that sounds better than a mic. You could buy ProQ3 to pull this off with EQ match, and that plugin IS worth every penny, but honestly, do yourself a favor and ditch the piezo signal and just use your mic. That’s going to give the best sonic results.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 AM

What he said.

If a tiny mic is inside guitar, it can never sound like you hear it outside guitar. Just place any mic towards 12th freth and it is guaranteed to sound much better than the internal one.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:57 AM

As much as I love the Fabfilter Q3, I have to admit there have been occasions when I've booted up Logic just so I can use the Match EQ on it. It just seems to be the best at doing that particular job.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone. Basically I'm looking to get detailed info about the Frequency curve and apply it live using the new SOURCE AUDIO PROGRAMMABLE EQ pedal when it comes out.

In a way, it's a different route to achieve what Tone Dexter does.

1. Record two simulaenous tracks - Mic & Piezo
2. Match the Piezo to the Mic

3. Note the frequencies, bands, db and 'Q' etc
4. Input them into a programmable parametric multi-band pedal to use live

Old 03-17-2020, 05:34 PM

How does Tone Dexter matches his di?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Thanks everyone. Basically I'm looking to get detailed info about the Frequency curve and apply it live using the new SOURCE AUDIO PROGRAMMABLE EQ pedal when it comes out.

In a way, it's a different route to achieve what Tone Dexter does.

What you're trying to do is conceptually simple, and the suggested plugs will do what you want, but I think you'll find that a little 7 band eq pedal will do little to make a piezo DI sound like a mic - Woodworks/Aura/Tonedexter use a completely different process; they are *not* eqs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
How does Tone Dexter matches his di?
Feed it the DI and a mic signal simultaneously and Tonedexter generates an IR to make the DI sound like the mic - it's not perfect (same as Fishman Aura or Woodworks), but it can surprisingly good when a pickup is absolutely the only way.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6