Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2015, 10:50 PM

Default Run plugins without installing???

I use PT10 on Mac at work. I do not have administrator permission to install some of my personally-owned plugins (which I use at home on my personal computer). Is there a way to run these plugins on my work computer without installing them? Maybe from a flash drive?
Old 04-12-2015, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Run plugins without installing???

you might be able to drop them into the proper folder but most likely, no that would defeat the purpus of having an Administrator

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
I use PT10 on Mac at work. I do not have administrator permission to install some of my personally-owned plugins (which I use at home on my personal computer). Is there a way to run these plugins on my work computer without installing them? Maybe from a flash drive?
In a word - no. For PT to see them they'd have to be in Mac HD/library/Avid/audio/plugins folder for aax plugins and if write permissions are set such that you can't write to the folder then PT won't see the plugins. Not to mention your facility probably has a policy against user supplied flash drives or such as many places do. Violating that could get you fired and don't laugh because that has happened to many people.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 AM

you cant do that
Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 AM

Question coming from a PC guy; would it be possible for the OP to carry an external drive with the complete OS, Pro Tools and his plugins? Just wondering as I knew that Macs can run from an external system drive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Question coming from a PC guy; would it be possible for the OP to carry an external drive with the complete OS, Pro Tools and his plugins? Just wondering as I knew that Macs can run from an external system drive
yeah
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Run plugins without installing???

And for places already worried about people touching things booting a new OS image on a computer is likely to be very unwelcome. It can let you bypass security/access controls on that computer. If you need tools to work and things are holding you back, discuss those issues with your employer. There may be good reasons why they do this, or things you can do to get admin privilages, or possibly get an admin to install the plugins for you (but the downside there is risking destabilizing production systems for all users, or just having lots of junk show up that is not usable), or maybe it's better to bring in a personal laptop, ... or good reasons why you should find some place else to work.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkerde View Post
you cant do that
Can't do what? Your answer makes no sense.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkerde View Post
yeah
Theoretically you could but the drive would have to have the same or newer OSX version as on the machine in question. Not to mention the drivers for all the hardware. And you'd have to have access to the connections for the ports and that's unlikely to go unnoticed by someone, especially if the machine is on a network. Not to mention getting your butt fired from your job. To put it simply - doing this ain't worth losing your job over. You'd be jeopardizing system security as well but that's already been bought up.

QAPLA!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
Yes and no.

You could install them on a flash drive and then create symbolic links that point to them, but as the plugin library is in /Library you would need to have admin account to create the links.

So yes, if you have admin account -- and no, if you don't have [admin account] there is no way.