Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RTAS plugins and Auto Delay Compensation??

Hi all you clever lot in the TDM section! I'm a lowly LE user, though I'm considering making the jump to the hallowed halls of TDM-ness....... I've only been using protools since December, having been a fully fledged Logic lover..... however 5-10 crashes per day using my 002R, and Logic doesn't really cut it when you're writing for TV with deadlines approaching!
Anyway...... having been an avid (scuse the pun) Logic user, I've been blown away by the MIDI in Protools 6.7..... personally I think it now wipes the floor with Apple's now consumer flagship software!!!!.....
I just wanted to find out about using Auto Delay Compensation from you guys in the real world...... does it work with RTAS plug-ins? If I upgrade to a TDM system is it worth upgrading my Waves bundle to TDM, or is RTAS perfectly sufficient.....clearly I'm going to be limited by host CPU..... Also..... the 192 - in the same league as Apogee's AD16X? What of the Prism ADA? Any thoughts? Clearly if the 192 cuts it I'd rather stay with Digi hardware.....
It'd be great to hear your thoughts!!
Thanks
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 05-19-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: RTAS plugins and Auto Delay Compensation??

hello?......
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 05-19-2005, 07:00 AM

Hello

I don't use ADC because I have a plug in that I use frequently that has more delay than can be compensated for.

Thank you for your patience.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 AM

RTAS are delay compensated. There are different ADC settings depending on the induced delay. The biggest ADC setting uses lots of resources.
The converters on the 192 are excellent. Apparently different than the apogees but not necessarily worse.
Get the Waves TDM if you are running out horsepower. Waves are not the biggest CPU hogs anyways.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 05-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Hi all you clever lot in the TDM section! I'm a lowly LE user, though I'm considering making the jump to the hallowed halls of TDM-ness....... I've only been using protools since December, having been a fully fledged Logic lover..... however 5-10 crashes per day using my 002R, and Logic doesn't really cut it when you're writing for TV with deadlines approaching!
Protools is definitely better for TV or radio editing etc. Not sure why you are having 5-10 crashes a day with the 002R but you may have some system problems you need to deal with before upgrading to anything else. Otherwise you may very well find that your new TDM system crashes a lot too...

Quote:
I just wanted to find out about using Auto Delay Compensation from you guys in the real world...... does it work with RTAS plug-ins?
Yes as stated in previous post.

Quote:
If I upgrade to a TDM system is it worth upgrading my Waves bundle to TDM, or is RTAS perfectly sufficient.
TDM plugs are one of the primary reasons to go to TDM hardware in the first place so it has less strain on your CPU. I'm not sure if you realize but you can only use RTAS plug-ins on the first insert of audio channels (you can add more RTAS plugs in succession too), not on auxillary channels or master faders (with the exception of RTAS virtual instruments). So that is one limitation to using RTAS plug-ins in a TDM system.

Quote:
Also..... the 192 - is it in the same league as Apogee's AD16X? What of the Prism ADA? Any thoughts?
In one word - no. The A/D, D/A in the 192 I/O is definitely better then previous digidesign attempts e.g. 888's. However the higher priced converters such as Apogee, Prism, Benchmark, Cranesong, Lavry, Mytek & RME are still considerably better than digidesign's. However you do pay a premium for good converters so you can't really expect digi to use them unless they charge even more money for their I/O's. it also comes down to personal choice & what converters you like best or can afford.

Hope this helps...

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 05-21-2005, 03:03 AM

[QUOTE]
. Not sure why you are having 5-10 crashes a day with the 002R but you may have some system problems you need to deal with before upgrading to anything else. Otherwise you may very well find that your new TDM system crashes a lot too...

Thanks for all your advice guys!!!!
The crashing problem is only happening using the digi core audio driver and Logic..... using exactly the same hardware with protools hasn't crashed once, and it gets used about 10 hours a day for the last 5 months..... Logic used to be very stable on my system, then became progressively less reliable, until I upgraded it to Pro 6...... At which point it became totally unusable!!!! What a load of crap!!!!! Most of my mates use Logic, and have also been plagued by this instability (which is much worse at sample rates other than 44.1)...... I keep telling them to start using a pro application!!!!!!
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 05-22-2005, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Hello

I don't use ADC because I have a plug in that I use frequently that has more delay than can be compensated for.

Thank you for your patience.
Why not just switch off the ADC on that channel only that has the plugin that exceeds the ADC! this way all your other tracks will be perfectly and automatically aligned!!

Regards

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.