Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM

Default is the ibook and mbox combo ok?

Ive currently got the mbox, and I run a good laptop with it. Im thinking of switching over to a mac so I can learn it. Would an ibook be good enough to run the mbox with no problems?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: is the ibook and mbox combo ok?

Works pretty good for me, I picked up an iBook so my normal Pro Tools computer wouldn't need to go on the internet, but I've actually been using the iBook alot more than it lately. I don't run a whole lot of track with it, but I can say I've never had a problem with it, there's alot of mBox haters out there, but I've had great luck with mine, and it's an inexpesive way to learn how to use Pro Tools, plus I just use it for mixing at home, I record all the tracks at a studio with 24 ins, two ins and outs is great for at home....sorry I went off a little bit there.....just get a 512 stick of ram and it should run pretty smooth.....good luck.....

http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/
http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 PM

ya from what Ive heard, they come with 256, so do I just need to get 256 more added? I was wondering what are the stats on your ibook? I dont want to spend anymore than i have to. Down the road Im gonna drop money on the digi 002r and an Imac. Right now I still want to learn. Thanks for you help man.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:03 AM

Put at least a 512mb ram chip in your iBook when you get it - the 256mb sodimm is soldered to the board so that's in there forever...

now, that said, be careful if you're buying a _new_ iBook - Digi hasn't qualified the current incarnation of them, and if you search the forums, Chris Coleman has been having a helluva time getting a 1.2GHz iBook to do anything other than spit out error after error.

I have a 1GHz iBook, which I bought quite recently - it _is_ qualified with PT6.7 and OSX 10.3.8 (the latest) and I have very few difficulties with it. I can't give you a DaveC test unfortunately, and in all honesty I don't push it as hard as some users (I've had it up to 16 voices but I use very few plugins, maybe four or five across all the tracks and then two on a master fader). So if you can find any 1GHz machines around still, go for that one. I got mine for dealer net price because the 1.2s had been released rather recently and the shop was trying to get rid of old stock...

Anyway. It makes for a cool portable setup, if not the most powerful arrangement in the world. Once I'm living in a country for more than a year at a time I'm gonna look at a dual G5 and a 002, but I'll probably still hang on to my iBook for the road. Now if only Digi would release a dongle so I could run PT without the whole MBox attached ... c'mon Digi, I'd pay extra for it!

Best of luck,

S.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Put at least a 512mb ram chip in your iBook when you get it - the 256mb sodimm is soldered to the board so that's in there forever...

now, that said, be careful if you're buying a _new_ iBook - Digi hasn't qualified the current incarnation of them, and if you search the forums, Chris Coleman has been having a helluva time getting a 1.2GHz iBook to do anything other than spit out error after error.
Well worth checking out that thread- just as a warning. That said... I've got a new generation 1.2GHz G4 iBook and I've had no problems at all running PTLE 6.4!! I upgraded with 512 extra RAM (well worth it!), got an external firewire drive (LaCie), and a USB Midi Control keyboard (Oxygen 8).... And i'm happy as Larry... however happy Larry is these days....?

Just make sure airport extreme is not just off, but totally disabled!!

jb
Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM

just want to confirm. So it comes with 256, but you guys are telling me I should add an additional 512, to bring the total to 768?

Also i was wondering is there anything special that seperates the regular ibook from the powerbook? or is it just the look, name, and the fact that the processors are a bit faster?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:51 PM

yes, get at least an additional 512mb of RAM.

Quote:
Also i was wondering is there anything special that seperates the regular ibook from the powerbook?
Powerbooks have:

Faster processors
Faster system bus and Memory
larger hard drives, and faster (5400rpm vs. 4200)
better graphics cards w/2x the VRAM (64mb vs. 32)
DVI output and extended desktop capabilities
other cool stuff like full-size keyboard w/illumination on some models

basically the whole innards are pumped up compared to an iBook's, which results in better performance over-all. When added to the faster processors, it's a noticable difference.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:56 AM

if you can afford a 1GB so-dimm there's no reason not to get that, either, but they are still fairly expensive by comparison. 768mb ram total should do you fine.

and just a note, the iBook can be firmware-hacked to turn on screen-spanning (do a web search for Screen Spanning Doctor) which can be quite useful if you have a second monitor. Other than that SlimShady's pretty much nailed the list of differences.

Cheers,

-S.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Ive currently got the mbox, and I run a good laptop with it. Im thinking of switching over to a mac so I can learn it. Would an ibook be good enough to run the mbox with no problems?
Get a powerbook.