Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Companion to your 11R

OK...I love my 11R...no doubt about it! But there are always other pieces of gear that one can have to compliment their rig. So my question to everyone is this....

What other piece of gear do you have that you find is ESSENTIAL to go along with your 11R for:

a) Recording in your studio DAW,

and

b) along with your 11R for playing LIVE

Maybe I just have GAS for some new gear, but I wanna know what other gear do you use for a specific application that you really dig (example: a mic pre for recording vocals, or power amp for live monitors, etc...)

Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Companion to your 11R

WOW...so NO ONE has any other gear that they use along with their 11R in their DAW? No cool mic preamps, compressors, effects, etc...that you want to recommend to others?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 PM

A small but essential item (at least for me) that goes with my 11R is an expression pedal mainly used as a wah.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
WOW...so NO ONE has any other gear that they use along with their 11R in their DAW? No cool mic preamps, compressors, effects, etc...that you want to recommend to others?

For the most part, for me, no. Unless you are referring to a MIDI pedal or something. I thought you were referring to other outboard gear like rack comps, eqs, tube pres, ect...

For a MIDI board I use the FCB1010 and the Eureka Prom. I have a couple outboard mic pres, but I find once you put a little Ozone on the track, which I would do any way, there really isn't a difference from the built in Mic Pre. Maybe it would make more of a difference if you had a really expensive mic pre and mic, I don't.

If you want to get in to other software, then that's a different story. I use Redwirez IR's and MIXir2 sometimes to replace cabs, and I like BFD2 for drums. I use a ton of other software but its not really part of my 11R rig per say.

As far as headphones, I really like the Audio Technica ATH-Pro5 MS. They are not very expensive and they sound great with the 11R and are pretty good for mixing as well as long as you check your mix on normal speakers first.

I'll be needing some new headphones soon, the ones I have are starting to wear out, I've had them for 4 years though, so its expected. I don't think they make the Pro5 MS anymore, so I'm thinking of going with Beyerdynamic DT Pro series or a higher end AT. What do you guys like?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Live: a MIDI controller.

Recording: a ... what's that thing called...? oh, right... a studio.

As far as *specific* recommendations:

I really like the LiquidFoot+ controller. I had some really specific requirements that I couldn't meet with other controllers.

I don't have any specific suggestions regarding studio gear. Unlike most, I don't record on a computer. Almost all of the hardware that's out there is good enough; I base my decisions on cost and functionality.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM

I use a TC Electronic G-major (series 1) on the SPDIF out of my 11r. My Main XLR outs blew sometime about a year ago, and instead of trying to repair my 11r I decided to use the G-major as a D/A with some bonus effects. It works great and sounds just as good as far as I can tell, the added effects are welcome although I haven't set up multiple patches yet. I also use a Behringer MIDI floorboard to control.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM

Two things I regularly use:
Teese RMC3 Wah in front of the 11R - it's a totally adjustable boutique wah for just about every wah parameter. Used it front of my old pedal board and it's become an old friend. Not nuts about the wahs in the 11R.

Tech 21 MIDI mouse - MIDI stomp box for changing patches.

Only thing with these two are they use 9 volt batteries and I don't feel like using my VooDoo Labs Pedal Power just to power those two boxes.

If I want to warm things up on the input I'll use either my UA Solo 610 or Groove Tubes Brick between the Teese wah and the 11R but that's rare and even then only on bass (Jazz bass with passive pickups).

QAPLA!