Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 AM

Default Re: What Avid Doesn't Want HD Users To Know

Maybe this question will just go away?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
Still no reply from DigiTechSupport or Max...
Still....

My guess is that if you could use the Digi ASIO driver or Core Audio, then there would be little point in migrating from HD Accel to HD Native so they have deliberately stopped us from being able to do this.

They don't respond because it's pretty hard to put a positive spin on that kind of behaviour. I feel sure that if there was a sound technical reason for this then they would have piped up now with a response to that effect....
Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
My guess is that if you could use the Digi ASIO driver or Core Audio, then there would be little point in migrating from HD Accel to HD Native so they have deliberately stopped us from being able to do this.
Well by doing this they won't get any crossgrade sales to more Avid cards or interfaces, they'll just have more informed users buying 3rd party interfaces to run with PT's 10 HD.

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Matt_G;1864644

I have heard though that Avid will be releasing HEAT for use with non-DSP versions of PT's 10 which is good news for a lot of people. Those that already have the HEAT license will get the native version at no extra charge. Same with all Digidesign Plug-Ins, they'll be ported to AAX & if you own the license free upgrade to AAX.

[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if this were true, but I emailed Dave Hill about it and there are no current plans for a Native version of HEAT. It will likely remain a DSP only option integrated into the mixer. He did say, however, that if "Avid gets enough requests and the cpu load is not too much they will make it available"
Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
It would be nice if this were true, but I emailed Dave Hill about it and there are no current plans for a Native version of HEAT. It will likely remain a DSP only option integrated into the mixer. He did say, however, that if "Avid gets enough requests and the cpu load is not too much they will make it available"
I'll confirm this with the Avid rep when I meet with him on the 21st. But you realize that for HEAT to work with HDX it has to be ported to floating point native code anyway. So it's just up to Avid to unlock it for non-DSP use. The rep had said that they wanted to make it Native so that it's compatible on all versions of ProTools. So if you were using it in the studio on a DSP based system but wanted to take the mix home to work on it with a laptop it will continue to work and be compatible. It's the same reason why Avid created AAX. Cross compatibility is high on their list of priorities.

I'm sure Dave Hill wouldn't know all of Avid's plans & probably wouldn't need his permission to unlock it for native.

I will re-confirm all that was said on the 21st.

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
I'll confirm this with the Avid rep when I meet with him on the 21st. But you realize that for HEAT to work with HDX it has to be ported to floating point native code anyway. So it's just up to Avid to unlock it for non-DSP use. The rep had said that they wanted to make it Native so that it's compatible on all versions of ProTools. So if you were using it in the studio on a DSP based system but wanted to take the mix home to work on it with a laptop it will continue to work and be compatible. It's the same reason why Avid created AAX. Cross compatibility is high on their list of priorities.

I'm sure Dave Hill wouldn't know all of Avid's plans & probably wouldn't need his permission to unlock it for native.

I will re-confirm all that was said on the 21st.
HEAT is DSP only. No plans to change that.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Question Re: What Avid Doesn't Want HD Users To Know

Max,

Is Avid going to make changes on the HDX exchange in the near future or this is it? Also, are dealers going to have full info on exchange deals, discounts...?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Any technical reason not to support AAX-Native ?
Or, just a marketing matter to sell HDX more than HD Native ?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM

+1 to the OP.

I'd love to be able to run my PT10/CPTK on HD hardware without TDM and just use the card as I/O.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
So Max, you are definitely aware of this thread.

Do you have any comment to make on the OP?

Can you change PT10HD so that we can select the ASIO/CoreAudio drivers to use the hardware as though it were 3rd party hardware and hence get access to the enhanced ADC and new mix engine albeit at the expense of having no TDM plugins.
Closed Thread