Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 07-11-2022, 08:24 AM

Default v12.8 new download crashes

Hello,

I've purchased PT Studio v12.8 in 2017 and it works good on my desktop.

Now I try to make it work on my brand new laptop. So I've downloaded the version available on my avid master account but i'ts not the same.

The problem is that PT crashes when it is launching Vari-Fi. If I install Xpand2, it crashes there, and the same with all my pluggs that where working on my oldest version installed on my dekstop.

There is an error message saying that this material can't open at this location. So I can't run my Protools version and I don't know what to do.
Old 07-11-2022, 05:37 PM

Default Re: v12.8 new download crashes

Hmm, there is some confusion going on here. There was no "Studio" version of Pro Tools before the most recent 2022.4 release. Start by looking at what exact license you have on your iLok and make sure you are downloading/installing the proper version of Pro Tools.

If everything jives, then you need to post here with the full and precise details on your computer, interface, exact OS and exact version of Pro Tools

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-12-2022, 02:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.

The version of PT downloaded in 2017 is 12.8.0

The version I've downloaded a couple of days indicates 2018.4.0
The presentation screens shows that the version's not the same.

On my Ilok there's Pro Tools Studio Perpetual.

So if it's a version problem, how can I download the ancient version?
Old 07-12-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoem View Post

On my Ilok there's Pro Tools Studio Perpetual.

So if it's a version problem, how can I download the ancient version?
What's the reason for wanting the older version? You have a license for the newest and I would use that. But if you are trying to get going on an older Mac OS, then I see the problem. If I log into my "MyAvid" account and go to "View My Products". I then open the section for my "Pro Tools"(FLex, in my case), then click on "View Software Download Links....", I can see SOME older versions to download(but not all), so that's worth a look. If that doesn't help, maybe one of the mods can step in

Old 07-12-2022, 09:03 AM

Thank you for this informations.

Ho yes I want the newest version but actually it's that version that doesn't work on my new laptop, while the oldest works on my desktop.

I'd prefer fix the problem of course to install the latest version as I can.

Do you think that it's my licence that dosen't allows me the new version that I donwnloaded or doesn't recognize an upgrade or something, or some kind of conflict between the two version?

If I can't do the newest PT works, I'll be forced to get the version of year 2017 (I hope it will fix the problem).
Old 07-12-2022, 09:08 AM

I've just seen that on my Ilok there's this detail about my version:

"versions release on or before 20/07/2018"

May be that I can't have an acces to recent upgrade of my version and have to see a version in accordance with the 2017 version that I get?
Old 07-12-2022, 10:57 AM

Let's back up for a moment and try to pin down some details.
What computer do you have?
What exact OS is it running?
What browser are you using(if a download crashes, using a different browser might be a solution)?
Do you fully understand iLok?(is your license actually on your ilok or is it still in the cloud)?

Old 07-13-2022, 02:46 AM

I've an HP ENVY laptop REF 17 ce with core i7, 16 go ram.
Laptop with window 10.

About Ilok I begin to understand how it works, and I think it's a licence version problem.

The version installed on my desktop is the 12.8.0 and the upgrades are not available after 2018. But the version I try to install on my laptop is 2018.4.

So I'm really thinking that I should try to install on my laptop the same version as my desktop version (12.8.0). I'm gonna do that with a friend how can help me for that and I will tell you in a few days.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:20 AM

Be careful, lots of stuff flying around here.

As Dave pointed out for all the version you are talking about Pro Tools 12.x and 2018.x it is Pro Tools standard not Studio. But if your license says "Studio" on your iLok then hopefully should license you up to the current 2022.6 Studio. You can look at the "Release Limit" date on the iLok license (in details section if you doubleclick on the license bundle in ILM).

Vari-Fi and XPand2 are typically included in the Pro Tools Complete Plugin Bundle. Which you will have as part of an active support/renewal plan, which you likely have if it's recent enough to get you "Studio" that change came out with 2022.4

Where are you getting these plugins installers from? You might need to be careful to install exact compatible installers with exact Pro Tools versions. There are recent versions of the Avid Complete Plugin bundle that you want to be running on recent versions. On old Pro Tools 12 the latest Avid plugins will probably run (I don't know for sure), but you might need to go back to the installers from back then. Depending on you past licensing you might not have those available for download without going through support.

I don't follow why you would want to stay on Pro Tools 12, unless you say need to match something exactly with say a studio setup, but upgrades on Windows 10 are relatively easy and to me the big release was 2019.5 that had major improvements in AAX processing. And many other new features (esp. those borrowed from Ultimate) since then. If this was my system, I'd be on 2022.6 (unless I was doing a lot of MIDI/worried about new MIDI bugs, then I'd be on 2022.4).

Given you are having problems I'd not be installing old Pro Tools 12, I'd be installing the latest, and debug any problems. Go forwards not backwards. These plugins you are having problems with are Avid ones, that everybody uses... they *will* work so something is likely just messed up on your system. Start with uninstalling Pro Tools, uninstall the plugins (is there an uninstaller? if not just delete the plugins folder). And start over with the latest Pro Tools 2022.6 installer and test that works, then install the latest complete plugin bundle plugins from your downloads.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmm, there is some confusion going on here. There was no "Studio" version of Pro Tools before the most recent 2022.4 release. Start by looking at what exact license you have on your iLok and make sure you are downloading/installing the proper version of Pro Tools.

If everything jives, then you need to post here with the full and precise details on your computer, interface, exact OS and exact version of Pro Tools
This is puzzling to me because my Pro Tools standard perpetual license has expired and is only good through 2018.7 but it shows in iLok license manager as "Pro Tools Studio"