Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Default Quantize off?

Can you turn off quantization so that when you drag a midi file into the project it does not try to automatically quantize it. And/or can you turn off time signature? I have a midi groove that is perfect in 3/4 swing but when dragged into pro tools it automatically tightens it up and makes it sound like a drum machine preset. Annoying. I just want to drag it in to a track and then record it as audio, but i have found no way to get it to come in to pro tools with the exact midi note arrangement/timing as the original file.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Quantize off?

I've never seen this before. It shouldn't be happening. Are you CERTAIN that it is? Perhaps try making another MIDI file where the timing is obviously off. When you bring it in to PT, it should not automatically quantize.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM

yes, it is very obvious when listening to the groove. It is not playing it as a swing groove, rather playing it straight 3/4 signature. I have tried using 1/4, 1/8, dotted, 6/8, 12/8. every option I can think of to make it play correctly, but as soon as i drop the file into pro tools track you can visually see the kick drum and snare parts shift to the closest line in the grid. I am trying to turn it quantize off so I can just create my drum tracks and then turn them into audio files...then its all good because the grooves are all in 3/4 signature.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM

I dunno folks, but i started a new project and it works fine, something must have been wrong with the other projects settings that i was missing.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

What if you took it out of 'grid mode' and put it into 'slip', and then just nudge the track forward a hundred samples or so, (to taste, obviously) Wouldn't that give you the 'swing' effect you're looking for?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

I am suspicious that when you drop the midi regions, you have GRID mode on, which may be moving all notes to the grid. I agree about trying SLIP mode, or Relative GRID mode to see what happens.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Now that it is working I notice it is in grid mode but instead of like 1/4 grid or such it is one 1 bar, which allows it to be in 3/4 signature but allow that swing feel that is written in the groove file to play out perfect with quantization of the notes within the bar.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Bearded Weirde
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFlyer View Post
What if you took it out of 'grid mode' and put it into 'slip', and then just nudge the track forward a hundred samples or so, (to taste, obviously) Wouldn't that give you the 'swing' effect you're looking for?
Swing is usually defined by the subdivision being triplet based, not where it sits in relation to the beat. Although that comes into play AFTER the basic triplet subdivision. ff
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedweirde View Post
Now that it is working I notice it is in grid mode but instead of like 1/4 grid or such it is one 1 bar, which allows it to be in 3/4 signature but allow that swing feel that is written in the groove file to play out perfect with quantization of the notes within the bar.

Thanks for all the help folks!

Bearded Weirde
Have you tried importing with various grids. I don't think it should affect your import... until you specifically quantize? ff
Old 09-17-2021, 03:02 PM

I'm having the same issue - found this thread from 2011!
I'm on PT 2018 12.0 on a Mac Pro OS 10.14.6
I've tried changing grid options - shuffle, slip, etc... nothing.
When the midi notes region remains in the place where it was recorded, it plays fine - if I move the midi region anywhere else in the grid, the notes squeeze together as if I've quantized them. Super weird. I know this is an old thread... Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?