Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Default one waves issue sorted, now for the other......

Hi,

I JUST WANT TO UPGRADE MY L3 TO L3-16

Waves is pleased to present the newest member of Waves acclaimed L-Series, the L3-16 Multimaximizer,

SO WHY DO I HAVE TO PURCHASE MERCURY BUNDLE 200 PLUGINS FOR $12500(OVER £6500 UK) JUST TO GET THE ONE UPGRADE FROM L3 TO L3-16. THIS SHOULD NOT BE THE CASE FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY OWN L3 AT LEAST OR EVEN L2/L1

"In the beginning, Waves created the L1 Ultramaximizer, and it revolutionized the world of mixing and mastering. Then came the L2 Ultramaximizer - heard on hit records and major motion pictures the world over. The way was paved for the L3 Multimaximizer, the world’s first auto-summing multi-band limiter. Now, Waves is pleased to present the newest member of Waves acclaimed L-Series, the L3-16 Multimaximizer, a 16 band peak limiter that delivers unparalleled loudness with unprecedented control."

Give with one hand and take with the other there's still policy to look at Waves

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: one waves issue sorted, now for the other......

L316 is not an upgrade. It's a new member of the L series. It's a new plugin, fairly different from the L3 (even though the GUI is similar). I like the L316, but still prefer the L3 for certain things.

Also, using it as an enticement to get Mercury may be only temporary. So wait a while and you can probably buy L316 separately. I'm not sure about that, but would think this might be the case. Didn't they do this with the V series plugins, and can't you buy those separately now? I don't know, but maybe somebody does.

Also, I beta test for Waves, if that makes a difference in the above statements...
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
L316 is not an upgrade. It's a new member of the L series. It's a new plugin, fairly different from the L3 (even though the GUI is similar).
You are kidding right? they can call it what they want, but to me it is the L3 upgraded with a few new features! to call it a "new plugin" is just an insult to my intelligence of which i have very little

They have finally dropped their extortion racket! now its time to drop the blackmail.

They can present the biggest carrot in the world, but i'm still not going to purchase 250 plugins just to get one i wish to upgrade!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM

I agree. Imagine some person owning NO waves plugs wanting to get the L3-16. He would have to buy the mercury bundle to get only one plug that he really wanted.

This bundle thing is irritating the H out of me. They'll keep going. I went from gold to platinum form platinum to diamond. If I were to go from plat to merc. it would only be six months till they add a new bundle - and only Jehovah would know what they'd call that....

I would like the Neve Compressor ONLY... but you cant get that one alone... and I wont by merc to get that... I think waves should take some marketing lessons about how to SELL plugs and generate moneys - maybe after doing so they'd make some serious money and would finally STOP this whole nonsense and the WUP - even though they've lowered it...
I find waves' politics to just as bizarre as Israel's relationship to palestine.... and I have bought my last waves processor. Even if they threw one at me I'd sell it out a shear despise towards Waves. They have infested my Mac for the last time...
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:

You are kidding right?Chris
No, I wasn't kidding. It can sound way different from the L3, can radically change the sound of a mix in ways the L3 could not approach.

You can complain about the marketing (attaching this to the Mercury Bundle) 'cause I don't really like that either. So you have a valid gripe there. And I did check, the V series is still attached to the Merc Bundle as well. I can only hope this is temporary.

But L316 is not an upgrade to the L3. You will still WANT to use the L3 for lots of things. An upgrade makes the former useless, (as in a Universal Binary upgrade to a Plugin, or a PT 7 compatibility upgrade to a Plugin) in fact the upgrade installer will usually erase the former version from your system. You would not want to erase L3 from you computer in favor ONLY of the L316. In fact it would be hard to use the L316 as an L3.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor