Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Broadband compressor after multi-band compressor?

wasssup folks.

I've just started usin the Waves C4 multi-band compressor again, a lil... mainly on vocalz
would 1 also put a regilau(braodband) compressor after that of is it enuff 4 just the multi-band(C4)?

I record hip-hop. And this is, I guess a general question during mixing; or use with/after using ,ulti-band compression.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Broadband compressor after multi-band compress

I'll answer your question with another question:

Why on earth are you using a multiband in the first place...particularly on vocals...do you have a sibilance problem and use the multi-band as a de-esser...if not, what's the purpose?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:10 AM

We have a home studio. Nuthin @ all fancy. We do hip-hop so theres no live(recording). All sounds are either samples or keyboards. We built a mic booth. bout the size of an average bathroom. Audio Technica 4033a and that goes directly into our Digidesign Digi 002. i record 2 tracks @ at time of vocalz....
1.) straight thru(direct) dry
2.) that direct(1.) in/from a RNC compressor 2:1

...so its mic -> in ch. 4 recorded dry out ch. 3 -> RNC -> in ch. 3 ->

daisy chain recording

thats said , the vocalists never stays n the same area. so I can hear n the recording the imbalances(movement). Cant really afford anything bttr @ this time(mic/mic,etc.). Just wanna improve on this and get the best recording we can w/ what we have. So the dynamics is somewhat... dynamic, given emotion.

I also mix w/ Waves RenComp on the RNC recorded track. I dnt use the dry. and even after mixin, It still seems ... non balanced. What do u think i can do 2 tame?
Should I compress more like some1 said 2 me b4? Should I use a limiter on each individual track 2 keep them n check;(aftrt compression)?

What do u guyz think would b best, given the info i just gave?

And I am also aware of mic technique but "rappers" are the hardest animals 2 train.

thnkx
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM

All that and you haven't answered my question...why multi-band?

You've already said what you've been doing...what I want you to ask yourself is why you've been doing it that way. Only then will you begin to determine for yourself what will work in any given specific situation.

Why not simply a regular compressor?

Why not adjust your threshold, ratio, attack and release controls in an intelligent fashion to suit the vocalist...and try automating the level of the track in addition to the compressor?